Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Debit / Credit (+) (-) consistent logic?

This topic is 7848 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm importing dollars from DOS AccPac program for General Ledger. Both debits (service postings) and credits (insurance payments) are listed as PLUS dollar amounts and their 'meaning' within the General Ledger appears to be determined by the GL AccountCode. i.e., 1202 is debit Service for Out Patient, 9300 is credit for insurance payment, etc. This is a double-entry system so the dollar figure is automatically applied to a debit and its opposite corresponding credit GL, always the same amount hence 'balanced' and, always reflected as a plus dollar amount.

I've always disliked programs that rigidly pre-determine and insert a minus when attempting to enter an 'adjustment' to an account -- which in fact may really be a plus. Example: Backing out an incorrect discount given a patient. Original discount may be: Plus $10.00 to Courtesy Discount (9600 credit) GL and minus $10.00 to corresponding Service (1406 debit). When reversing this transaction, I want the flexibility of entering: Minus $10.00 to Courtesy Discount and Plus $10.00 to Service debit.

I need to establish consistent logic in this process. I MUST match account codes and double-entry in this new billing module, as this information will then be given to Accounting to update their General Ledger in a separate AccPac module. BUT, all the Accounting GL will receive is the TOTAL dollar amount (a plus amount) for each GL number, so I'm pretty free on how it will be handled at this end, as long as the result matches accounting.

My thought is this: I will only display and allow an entry to a GL (and it

Unless there is a reason to do otherwise, it would seem best to go with the method used by the system you're converting from, since staff will already be familiar with it.

As long as it is clear on screens, reports and help notes what is what - and as long as it is consistent throughout - users should be able to addapt to it...

This topic is 7848 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.