Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 7830 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just wanted to thank all of those who've posted samples here. It's pretty rare that you find folks this willing to share their work. I know I've been able to pick up some very usefull techniques here as well as some nice graphics (thanks falkaholic). Ok, now I'd like to make a request. Any gurus out there willing to put up a very basic/very simple database that illustrates how to separate data from structure?

Thanks again!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Although I've done a few of these, I don't at present have anything I could post, since the ones I've done are owned by clients and subject to NDAs etc. It may happen sometime in the future.

However there is an inherent problem with your request for a "very basic/very simple" example of the separation of data and interface.

Any database which offers a genuine separation is not going to qualify to be described as either basic or simple by any stretch of the imagination. It is very achievable, but the combination of techniques required to pull it off would each generally be considered 'advanced' taken separately. Put them together and even the most minimal implementation is starting to look more like advanced/complex than basic/simple.

Ray,

Your absolutely right. I should have thought about that a little bit more before I posted. How about as simple/basic as possible ? I understand the concept but putting it into practice is driving me nuts. I don't even know where to start! confused.gif I'm the kind of guy that needs to see something work and then dig at it, taking it apart until I figure it out. I've been "lurking" around FMForums for quite awhile hoping I'd somehow, maybe through divine intervention, get the hang of it, or at least figure out how to start. No luck yet.

Joe

BTW, I checked out your site. Very interesting (impressive) demo's! Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.