Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

relating fields that are related to a 3rd db

harry8

This topic is 7939 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to link one db's fields with another but cannot. I think it may relate to the fact that the fields I'm trying to link/relate to are also related to another db. I have no problem linking/relating to fields -- db to db -- that are in the 'current file'. How do I do that?

thanks,

Harry

Mark D. says: 'FMP does not support relationships to fields that don't exist in the related file. Why not just make your relationship direct to the tertiary file?'

My response:

The DB in question, "Pub Accounts," has to do with book stores, and the contacts from those stores who purchase our books. There are several related DBs within this 'overall' db. This part of the DB has to do with logging phone calls from company contacts, on one screen, and listing those calls by company/calls received, in another db.

The portal in the 'Call List' db is directed to the 'Call Log' db and is linked by the Customer ID number -- each book store has a Customer ID number. All of the Call List fields have relationships to the (identical) fields in in the Call Log db, and work fine, except for the three name fields -- first. last, mi, which are related to the Call Log db from the 'Contact' db. I understand now that I cannot relate fields that are not actually in (native to) the Call Log db. So I related the Call List db name fields directly to the Contacts field, by Contact ID number, because each name has a Contact ID number. The fields do populate, but with only one name per Customer ID.

In other words, all of the "Call List" fields, in a portal list, have unique info except for the name fields, which are incorrectly identical. They should have different names (mostly) and because each call would usually come from different contacts, as listed in the call log. The problem, I guess, is that the portal relates to the "Call Log" db, and not the Contacts db, where I'm pulling the names from.

How do I get the names to display as they should, not as duplicates? I was thinking of placing a portal within a portal, but doesn't seem to be an option.

Harry

This topic is 7939 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.