Problem with Exporting Data

This topic is 8626 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I am a Database Newbie. Just so that you know...

I have created a database some time ago with various Value Lists. I have since edited the Value Lists to reflect changes or simply to correct spelling errors. This was after I had previously selected items on these list. Now, when I export my data contained in the lists, the old data appear along with the new data, even though I can't see trace of the old data anywhere!...

For instance, I had a list that displayed with check boxes. one of the item was Consultant, and after a few week I changed this item to Consulting. When I publish the data on the web or when I export as a SYLK or something else, the entry Consultant appears along side Consulting. It doesn't actually happen only with list by the way.

Could you please help. Many thanks

William

First of all, are you confusing a list of items contained in a value list with items contained in a field in your file?

A value list is a convenience. Say you created a value list with the values: Dog, Cat, Rat, Hat, and Batt. You then used this value list to enter data into a field called "Type". At a later time you discovered that Bat was spelled "Batt" and corrected the value list to: Dog, Cat, Rat, Hat, Bat. Records with the field Type previously entered as "Batt" would NOT be automatically changed. FileMaker saves "Batt" into the Type field, NOT a pointer to its position on the value list. This can be especially confusing if you use check boxes or radio buttons. With a checkbox "Batt" would still be entered in the field, but would not display in a checkbox display with the current value list value set to "Bat"

When exporting values from the Type field, the values incorrectly entered at "Batt" would export. -bd

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited August 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited August 14, 2000).]

• Newbies

Very informative, thank you.

But is there a way to get rid of redundant datas contained in a field? Is there a way to tell what is contained in a fiel when one is in FMP, other than exporting the data.

I think I will add the redundant field back into the list (in your example I would make 'batt' re-appear in the list), and then I would deselect this erroneous selection wherever it appears.

Then I would go back to the list and delete 'batt'.

Does that sound like a fair solution to you, or do you have a better one? I am going to try that, as it might do the trick. If it works, this is thanks to your explanation.

William

This topic is 8626 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.