Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Exporting from related records

This topic is 8466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm attempting to export a database of name, address, and phone number -- but the phone numbers are in a RELATED file and there's more than one phone per household. Is there a way to (through related or repeating fields) to export all phone numbers for a particular individual into a single record?

Although FMP5 will export all the phone numbers, only the first exported phone number is associated with the person's name and address ... subsequent phone numbers are exported into SEPARATE records. Not helpful!

I'm rather proficient at FMP programming, and would like to find a solution that's short of exporting the phone numbers to a WORD file, changing subsequent returns into <ascii-29> and importing the phone numbers back into the database (This would turn the related numbers into a single repeating field ... but, since this is a process that is done at least monthly, it's not a feasible solution).

Hope this makes sense. Any assistance you can off would be appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by FrTrask:

I'm attempting to export a database of name, address, and phone number -- but the phone numbers are in a RELATED file and there's more than one phone per household. Is there a way to (through related or repeating fields) to export all phone numbers for a particular individual into a single record?

Although FMP5 will export all the phone numbers, only the first exported phone number is associated with the person's name and address ... subsequent phone numbers are exported into SEPARATE records. Not helpful!

I'm rather proficient at FMP programming, and would like to find a solution that's short of exporting the phone numbers to a WORD file, changing subsequent returns into <ascii-29> and importing the phone numbers back into the database (This would turn the related numbers into a single repeating field ... but, since this is a process that is done at least monthly, it's not a feasible solution).

Hope this makes sense. Any assistance you can off would be appreciated.

Two ways to accomplish this:

1: Use the Troi Text plugin to summarize all of the phone numbers into a field in your main file.

2: Do your export out of the main file. However this will result in you having alot of duplicated contact information, as it will be repeated for each related phone number.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.