Exporting a FM5 database to MS Outlook

This topic is 8442 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

G'Day viewers !

Being a new user of FileMaker Pro 5, I have entered a number of records in an FM5 database, listing user names, phone numbers and email addresses. I would like to be able to export this database in a format that can be imported into a Microsoft Outlook 2000 client's contact listing. My question is, is this possible, and if so, would someone please explain how ?

quote:

Originally posted by AussieDave:

G'Day viewers !

Being a new user of FileMaker Pro 5, I have entered a number of records in an FM5 database, listing user names, phone numbers and email addresses. I would like to be able to export this database in a format that can be imported into a Microsoft Outlook 2000 client's contact listing. My question is, is this possible, and if so, would someone please explain how ?

Export the data to a comma seperated file and you should be able to import that into Outlook.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• Newbies

Hi Kurt

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I've tried a Windows and DOS csv file, and can export without a problem. But I have a problem with importing this db into Outlook Contacts. I specify it to import a csv file, and it prompts me to install the necessary MS-Office files for the conversion, but then stops when trying to import the csv file. Is there any special way of doing this ?

Cheers

Dave

We had a similar question a little while back but it must have been in another fourm. If I remember correctly the first record (or row of the csv file if you are looking at it in Excel) should contain the exact field names that are being used in Outlook. The easiest way to see what these are is to export a csv file from Outlook and then look at it in Excel.

It's not clear from what you write whether or not you actually installed the necessary text converters when prompted to do so. You need to do this by running Office setup again and selecting the items you wish to keep installed and wish to add i.e the text converters.

This topic is 8442 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.