Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Opening DBs in X

khughes

This topic is 7708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I noticed that when I double-click a FileMaker v5.5 database that resides on the Desktop of my OS X client computer, it launches FM but doesn't open the database. If I place an alias of a database on the Desktop and move the database to a nested folder, works fine.

Anyone else notice this Desktop No Launch issue?

Strange... I have also noticed that holding down the option key to access the password dosen't work when the FileMaker isn't open. Ya have to open FM first

then use the Open from the menu whilest holding down the option select the file.

• 1 month later...

Yes, this has driven me to crazy! When I hold the option it goes to second file in open script and asks for password but never the Menu file! Then had to hold option for every file. I did not know of the open the Filemaker first then open file.

Filemaker said there is no problem but it IS problem! And this is true with the Jaguar only for I have no problems on machine at home with 10.1.5.

nati

Hi

I just tried to open a DB from the desktop without FM open and it opens the app AND the DB.

However, option click does not work, as Nati says. Another annoying thing is that the window will close aswell when you open a DB with option pressed. This is usefull when navigating windows, but annoying for opening DB's while pressing option.

Btw - I'm on OSX.2.3 / FMP6 / FMD5.5

JP

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, khughes! Not specifically with FileMaker, but many people have had problems with Mac OS X and file permissions. Get Info on the file and see what the permissions are (or check from the Terminal command line if you know how). Copying TO a computer sets the owner as whatever login you used to connect to the server. This can cause problems AT THE COMPUTER when you are logged in as a different user--even if you move the file to another common area. The OS X desktop area is private for each user. Make sure the owner of the file is who you are logged in as or change the permissions to match.

My two pennies worth! Somewhere.. last year.. I think on one of the FMP guru web sites, I read something about password dialog boxes not coming to the front consistently because FMP software engineers either didn't understand OSX hooks for controlling windows or did understand but let it be because there would have been an unnamed internal conflict in FMP.

At any rate, I have never experienced the problem when all other windows were closed and it doesn't seem to matter how many or what other applications are running or whether or not FMP is already running or just starting up.

This topic is 7708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.