importing problem

This topic is 8349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am having a very difficult problem with an import. When importing data from another file on the network, I first find the records I want to export on Database A, then go to Database B, select import and expect that I will import only the found set on Database A. It wants to import all the records instead. The only way to import only the found set is to be sure that Database A is closed first so that Database B can open it as the host. What is going on here? What am I missing. Other sets of files seem to work fine for this. Thanks for any help. Mike

Is database A multi-user and you are a guest? Imports like this need to be performed from the server.

When you open dbA as a guest adn perform the find, the found set is only on your machine. When you go to do the import, you are now importing from the host, which doesn't have the found set. You need to go to the host and perform the find from there. You might as well do the import from the host as well.

This is one of the "traps" with multi-user databases.

Yes dbA is multiuser. The script I have on dbA goes like this. It is initiated from dbA. It finds a set of records, then runs an external script on dbB that imports the data from dbA. This is where I am having trouble. I am not opening dbA from dbB and finding from there. I am finding from dbA and attempting to import that found data from dbB. dbB is acting like there is no found set - it sees all records and attempts to import those.

The key here is that the database you want to import data INTO must be on your local machine. Your searches on a networked database are in fact unique to your own local computer, but a networked database will not see the result of your search when you import into it. So your options are

put the dbB on your own computer, or

go to the computer on which dbB resides and do the import there.

quote:

Originally posted by Moon Mullins:

The key here is that the database you want to import data INTO must be on your local machine. Your searches on a networked database are in fact unique to your own local computer, but a networked database will not see the result of your search when you import into it. So your options are

put the dbB on your own computer, or

go to the computer on which dbB resides and do the import there.

This is not true, I import to and from multi-user and served databases all the time. Granted it is much easier to do this with local DB, and many times I will bring the databases off-line to do this, but it is certainly possible.

The key thing to remember is that when databases are set to multi-user and hosted on another workstation, the found set is stored for whom ever hosted the DB, or whoever last opened it in an exclusive mode (i.e. to add fields or something). No found set is stored on files that are opened on FMServer.

However as long as YOU have the files open on you machine, regardless of where they are served or hosted, the found set is preserved. What I do is to open both files, then goto file A, get my found set, then goto file B and do the import from file A. This does work. Remember that as soon as you close these files, the found set is lost.

Alternately you could goto file A, export your records to a temp file, then goto file B and import from your temp file.

One more thing. The only way I have found to import the found set of records is to make sure that the file that the records are found on is closed prior to importing them. If so, the records are imported as they have been found, if not, it wants to import all the records in that file.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemccloskey:

Wait a minute. Are you saying the whole importing process must be done "locally". Both files must be open on the same machine in order for the found set to be imported - even if one of the files is a remote machine?

Both file must be "open", that is they are currently being accessed. Do not close the files as that is where you lose all of your settings. They can be being opened from the FMServer or from a Host on the network, but they must be open on the local machine and must stay open during the whole process.

This topic is 8349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.