Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Modified CobaltSky's ValueLock for FM5 *DELETED*

This topic is 7751 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Mse smile.gif

It's really nice of you to put this on the Forum. However, did you check with CobaltSky first? His copywright and logo are on this file and, if he would have wanted it posted, he should have been the one to do so, don't you think?

If you want to design your own dB, using his principles, I'll back you 100% and steal your ideas, just like I do all information on this Forum, but you shouldn't use his demos that he's freely shared to help us all. Don't you think? crazy.gif

LaRetta

I do apologize for the incident. Actually, there is a dilemma here: I do not pretend to post a new solution but just show a workable FM5 get around for the nice CobaltSky's FM6-only filed locking system. Consequently, I felt having neither the right to modification of the original layout, nor to creation a new one. Besides, I wished to attract the FM enthusiasts' attention to one more problem of related interest (see my post) that would hardly be possible by communicating with the auther personally.

I present my excuse to the auther and if he or the Forum Moderators consider my post tactless I am ready to retrate it immediately.

mse blush.gif

P.S. Please let me know your opinion, othervise I'll cut the attachment today.

Hi mse,

Consequently, I felt having neither the right to modification of the original layout, nor to creation a new one.

Well, I'll bet that if you would have asked him, or others on the Forum, that we would have helped you create your own demo file! After all, that's the purpose of the demo files ... assist us in learning the process so we can create our own, isn't it?

I feel you should have 1) Created your own demo file to present. We would have appreciated it very much grin.gif or 2) Ask permission of the author. Do you know what copywrite means?

LaRetta

Hello mse and LaRetta,

My attention was drawn to this thread, and I thought that it might be helpful if I made some sort of comment.

On the one hand, in making ideas available in the form of demos, I'm quite happy for people to use, share and further develop those ideas.

I also appreciate (I'd like to say 'expect' but that might be being a little optimistic) being credited as the source of an idea I've made available in this way - just as I acknowledge the ideas of others when I have drawn from them.

However I do think that the authorship (and professional integrity that goes with it) of a published file should not be 'blurred'. So in that sense I agree with LaRetta. It would have been preferable, mse, if you'd either:

1. Passed your ideas to me to include in an alternate version of my demo - with an appropriate note acknowledging your input, or

2. Built a new demo of your own - with an appropriate note acknowledging the origin of the idea (and maybe a link to the original download file).

That way the authorship of the file is not in doubt, yet the source of the ideas is still correctly attributed.

In fact, along these same lines, you'll find that several of my own demos credit source material from other developers and in a couple of cases - where there is a substantial reliance on an earlier innovation - are published with the explicit permission of the concept's originator.

So, all that notwithstanding, I recognise that your actions were well motivated. Good on you for coming up with an alternative angle and a different approach to the concept - and I applaud your effort to share your variation of the idea with other forum members. wink.gif

I hope that at some stage we'll see a fresh new file in which you've put together your own development of the idea - with a link back to the source of your inspiration, of course! cool.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.