Server Maintenance This Week. ×

export from Mac with PC characterset

This topic is 8311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by jos_claes:

Does somebody knows of a way to export data from a Macintosh Filemaker but using a PC charactermap setting.

I noticed on my PC version you can choose PC or Mac export.

Do not have that option on my Mac version...

What do you need to do? Will the normal export not work? I think that the differences are mainly related to linefeeds and tabs, not normal ASCII characters.

iviewcapture_date_12_09_2006_time_11_47_55crop.zip

The PC or Mac export choise on your PC version is to avoid (as much as possible) problems between PC and Mac.

If you choose PC to PC export FM does just the export.

If you choose PC to Mac export (or vice versa), there will be some adjustments (as far as the program can do it) in the areas ???

Character sets - Fonts - Filenames (PC needs extention .fpx) - Colors - Grafhics formats - Printing - OLE support and Platform-specific capabilities.

f.i. if you enter text with special characters (like the e in

Indeed,

this is the problem I'm trying to solve: the higher asci values (which our language has several) don't come out right on the PC (webserver in this case) from my MAC filemaker.

The other way around (from PC filemaker to Mac characterset) works 100%.

Wondering if there would be a plugin for this functionality on the MAc version.

The other solution I'm thinking is writing a PERL script that processes/converts those characters in the exportfile...

quote:

Originally posted by J Wenmeekers:

The PC or Mac export choise on your PC version is to avoid (as much as possible) problems between PC and Mac.

If you choose PC to PC export FM does just the export.

If you choose PC to Mac export (or vice versa), there will be some adjustments (as far as the program can do it) in the areas
???

Character sets - Fonts - Filenames (PC needs extention .fpx) - Colors - Grafhics formats - Printing - OLE support and Platform-specific capabilities.

f.i. if you enter text with special characters (like the e in

Additional for character sets ???

Characters with ASCII values 0 through 127 (the so called low ASCII) are the same in both systems.

Characters with ASCII values greater than 127 (the high or extended ASCII) may be different, depending on the Win font you're using.

Some Mac high-ASCII characters such as the bullet characyer (opt+8) do not translate properly in Wondows.

Several capabilities of the two operating systems are platform-specific, that is, they are only available in Win or on the Mac.

If such features are used in designing a script, the script will not run on the other platform.

I think more specific on :AppleTalk support - play *.snd files - AppleScript and -Events support for the Mac and

Microsoft Registry support and DDE messaging for the Win.

Developing a solution for both platforms give me 'koppijn'.

Happy FMaking

This topic is 8311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.