Attaching files to a database

This topic is 8278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am building a tape database for an Audio/Video client and they would like a button that would allow them to attach a word or excel file to a database. They have extensive cut lists and write-ups on these videos and they need to have access to this information. If possible I would like to make this something that is imported into FM and not have to access the third party application. Cn FM import basically text files such as Word or text formated Excel. This is my problem...If someone has a better solution please let me know. I am not married to any particular solution.

Sorry, I kinda lied to you. On the Mac, you can only place QiuckTime movies or sound in a container field. On the Windows platform you can insert virtually any OLE object, including, MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint files.

• Newbies

Hi Ryan,

maybe you could try to solve your problem with the troi file-plug in, which allows you to identify files, move them and store references. We realized an image archive with that plugin. We story thumbails of the images in the database, copy the originals to an own kind of filesystem and save the paths in the database. The only problem is, that the disk, where the images are saved on, has to be available for the clients too. Now we are working on an other sollution which is ftp-based. We use ftpit, another plugin. The only problem is, that ftpit is not really advanced and has some mistakes...

• 3 weeks later...

How highly do you rate the Troi plug-in?

I am trying to link/embed a large number of pdf documents to a filemaker database. I have figured out how to do thius, however I have to do it manually, one file at a time. Does Troi allow me to impotr and relate files en masse. The image names are sequentially numbered and based upon an id number in the Filemaker databse. Is it possible to write a script that will auto allocate these files to the database by reconciling the image name with the id field? Alternatively is the plug-in the only answer?

Thankyou

This topic is 8278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.