Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need help finding and exporting records

This topic is 8302 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Greetings,

I really need your help here. I know almost nothing of Filemaker. I want to achieve very specific results that will probably require scripting, etc.

What I want to do is find a way to export each record individually. My records contain several fields, and an ID field, with a calculation that inserts the record number in the field. Therefore, the first record's ID field always contains "1". That's exactly what I want: if I sort the records, then any record which ends up being first gets an ID of "1".

I thought of creating a Global field, with an initial value of 1; a script would perform a loop, inside of which there would be a Find(), looking for a record that has an ID matching with the Global; the found record would be exported; the global would be incremented; and the loop would exit when the Global would exceed the Status(CurrentRecordNumber).

My first obstacle is ??? how can I perform that Find()? How can I find a record that has a first field (the ID) matching with another field (the Global)?

My second obstacle is : how can I export each record with a different file name? I hear there is some sort of plug-in for that? I use a mac, if that matters.

Answers? Pointers? Suggestions?

Thank you very much,

Jean-Fran

• Newbies

Thank you for the fast reply. I cannot do otherwise than take FileMaker into my own hands, and give this software a try.

Which books would you recommand for a novice user, considering what I want to achieve?

Thank you,

Jean-Francois

You are asking both rudimentary questions as well as complex/advanced questions. The good news is that you have a pretty clear idea of what you want.

Start by deciding if becoming a Filemaker developer is what you want to do. Then decide if you should continue with this or simply hire someone to do it for you.

If you decided to do this yourself, pick up a book or two about Filemaker and read up. Some of the thing that you want to do are covered in the online help for the application. Some of the things are more advanced and will require some measure of experience.

Once you are more familiar with the basics you'll be in a much better position to understand the more advanced stuff.

This topic is 8302 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.