Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 7736 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I had a hand in writing this book (chapters 6 and 13 in case you're interested) and was the technical editor for most of it. So here's the press release from the publisher. The book should be available within a couple of weeks from what I hear from Chris Kubica.

Chuck

-------

March 4, 2003

For Immediate Release

To schedule an interview, or request a review copy or cover art, contact Janet del Mundo at [email protected] or call 415.863.9900.

NO STARCH PRESS TO PUBLISH "THE BOOK OF FILEMAKER 6"

The First Complete Guide to FileMaker Pro

San Francisco, CA - In April of this year, No Starch Press will publish what promises to become the essential reference for FileMaker developers, "The Book of FileMaker 6." (Chris Kubica, $59.95, ISBN 1886411816, April 2003.)

Written by veteran FileMaker developer Chris Kubica, with contributions from other top FileMaker masters, the book begins with a thorough introduction to the FileMaker Pro development environment and relational databases. It quickly moves into advanced topics, such as scripting, multi-user and cross platform development, and security, and shows how to build database-driven websites. Developers at all levels learn how to go beyond the user manual to create robust, dynamic database systems from the ground up.

"There are no truly complete references on FileMaker Pro," says author Chris Kubica, who has been using FileMaker Pro since its infancy. "Sure, there are FileMaker books that cover advanced scripting and development, and those that cover some security, web development, and beginner basics, but none that bring it all together in one book. My book also covers some important topics that other books have left out, such as how to integrate with external applications including ODBC and SQL, how to use and develop plug-ins, and how to plan and market your solutions and synchronize data with remote locations."

No Starch Press has a history of identifying niche markets and developing clearly written and engaging books to meet the needs of these markets. "The Book of FileMaker 6" is certainly no exception.

This complete guide to the entire FileMaker Pro product line shows how to:

* Access hidden FileMaker Pro features

* Use the power of portals in robust relational database systems

* Build a hack-proof security system complete with audit trails, privilege management, and security plug-ins

* Share databases with others using FileMaker Server

* Web-enable databases using FileMaker Unlimited, the Web Server Connector, and XML

* Automate FileMaker products using ActiveX and AppleScript

* Plan, develop, market and sell commercial FileMaker-based applications

The CD-ROM contains hundreds of complete, ready-to-use example databases (all of which are discussed in the book), as well as portal tricks, calculation formulas, script steps, plug-in functions, and troubleshooting tips. The book covers FileMaker Pro 6, Pro Unlimited, Developer 6, Server, and Mobile 2.1 for Macintosh and Windows. Many tips and is compatible with FileMaker?s version 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x products.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Chris Kubica is an internationally known FileMaker Pro guru. He has written for top FileMaker publications and has been a speaker at the annual FileMaker Developer Conference. He is the President of a virtual consulting firm in West Lafayette, Indiana.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

Table of contents: http://www.nostarch.com/filemaker_toc.htm

Sample chapter: http://www.nostarch.com/filemaker_ch5.pdf

THE BOOK OF FILEMAKER 6, Chris Kubica, ISBN 1886411816

1000 pp., $59.95, $86.95 (Cdn), with CD-ROM. April 2003

To order from No Starch Press: [email protected]">[email protected]</a> or call: 800.420.7240 or + 1 415.863.9900

ABOUT NO STARCH PRESS

Since 1994, No Starch Press has published unique books on computing, with a focus on Open Source, security, hacking, web development, programming, gaming, and alternative operating systems. Our titles have personality, our authors are passionate, and our goal is to make computing fun.

Contact: Janet del Mundo, <a href="mailto:[email protected] or +1 415.863.9900.

###

Hi Chuck!

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking of getting "Advanced FileMaker Pro 5.5 Techniques for Developers" for some time now. Would this be a good alternative, or should I get both?

My main reason for looking at the above was for the login/security system.

I've read Advanced FileMaker Pro 5.5 Techniques for Developers. It's a very good book and has become the third "must have book" for FileMaker (with Scriptology and Using FileMaker 5). Moyer's book and this one both cover some similar material, but the book I worked on is more complete. Moyer's book assumes a certain level of skill with FileMaker, while The Book of FileMaker covers everything from the beginning. Both books cover security in detail.

So it's not a one or the other type of decision. The Book of FileMaker covers all topics from start to finish, from defining fields to writing plugins with C. I do think that our book will be the first one available that covers version 6.

I don't make any additional income from sales of the book (paid a flat fee for the writing and tech editing) so I think it's OK for me to say, go ahead and get both. If you purchase The Book of FileMaker, be sure to let me know what you think. I'll be happy to pass comments onto the primary author.

Chuck

This topic is 7736 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.