Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"Save a copy as.." over a network

This topic is 8186 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi there. I'm trying a few different things to back up a Filemaker database running on Filemaker Server on Mac OS X. I can't determine a good way to do so by using the server's automatic backup capability, since we're backing up our computers with Retrospect, and the last I heard, Retrospect's Mac OS X client is rather "beta-ish" at the moment (on their site, they quite explicitly say how we shouldn't trust it for anything critical). So I'd rather make a copy of the databases regularly on another machine that can be backed up with Retrospect, unless someone can suggest something else.

We already have another Mac running System 9.2 (which can itself be backed up with Retrospect) which accesses the database over a TCP/IP network that runs some daily scripts on the database, and I thought it would be a simple matter to just get it to "Save a copy as..." periodically, and have those copies backed up to tape. But when I went to try it, "Save a copy as..." is ghosted. Is that operation impossible when accessing a file over a network (I haven't been able to find a reference to that limitation in any of the documentation I've been reading)?

Any other suggestions on how we could get this database backed up safely on a regular basis?

Thanks

I had the same problem recently, only in windows..

I found the answer , sort of...

You probably need to shut the server down, then open the file from another FMP machine, this way you'll have exclusive control of the file - then the save as option will be active.

The other option that works in windows is to copy the file directly from within explorer ( on the server itself) to another location while it's still running. I don't think this will work in a mac because the record locking is tighter. (It's probably not that good an idea anyway..)

(Only slightly?) off the topic:

I only recently found out that FMP is a "disk-based" database, rather than a "RAM-based" database, that is the entire file is accessed and written to all the time (rather than like with a lot of other apps on windows, which load data into RAM and only save information at prespecified times ie shutdown) - tech support article number 102516

What are the possible advantages of this? To my untrained (untainted? ;-)) mind it would be asking for data corruption, at least if you are running windows 9x.

What do the experts say?

There are a couple of issues here.

1. A guest may not "Save a copy as". Only the host can do that.

2. Save As is not a reliable backup method, because you can not be certain that all the information has been written to disk. Closing the file assures this has been done.

3. Do not run Retrospect or any other backup program directly onto live, open FileMsker Pro files or to file hosted by FileMaker Server. Always run Retrospect on a closed copy of the file.

HTH

Old Advance Man

This is one of the many advantages of hosting files using FM Server. FM Server can perform "live" backups by suspending use of the files for the short time it takes to backup the files. Also built into Server is a utility that allows the scheduling of these backups. Our normal practice is to backup FM files to a network volume using this method.

The advantages of a disk based database are:

- The size of the files isn't limited to the amount of RAM available. We have 10 GB databases, but still don't have machines with a 10 GB RAM capability.

- If the machine crashes or you lose power in a RAM based database (such as AppleWorks) all changes since that last save are lost. If you save once a day, this could be a whole day's work. In a disk based database system, most or all of the data is recoverable after a crash.

-bd

quote:

Originally posted by Tom England:

Is it possible to create more than one back up schedule using FM Server??

Yu can always create as many schedules as you need (up to maybe 999?) However, if you mean run a given schedule more than one time:

Windows NT 4 Server--->Yes

Windows 2000 Server-->Yes

Macintosh OS 9-->Yes

Macintosh OS X-->No

HTH

Old Advance Man

You must quit the FileMaker Server service or app. Then with a copy of FileMaker Pro, open the copy and Save As.

But as i said, this is not a good method of backup. WHEN you have quit FileMAker Server, then simply make an OS level copy of the CLOSED files. Do NOT copy open files.

HTH

Old Advance Man

This topic is 8186 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.