clarification of older post oin enter parts of data

This topic is 8180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am sorry about the vaugeness of my post.

I am using filemaker 5 on a win 98 computer.

I want to remove the names from a sky word file.

I can easly open this file in word or note pad. It contains a lot of information and each feild of information is seperated by a comma. is there a way that I can write a script which will go to this file, and say give me the text after the 7th comma and store it into a feild. What I am trying to do is take a list of students from this sky word file and place each students name in a seperate record. So that when I am finished I can have an update button on my data base linked to a script which can go to this file and take every students name and place each in a diffrent record in a name feild. basicly, is there a way filemaker can search a text document and copy sections of it into feilds?

FM should be able to import a CSV (comma separated) file. It is probably easier to try to directly import the file into FM, selecting just the name field for import.

Depending upon the file type, it might be possible just to drag the file onto the FM icon and have it converted (make sure it is saved as just text first).

-bd

This topic is 8180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.