This topic is 7683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello

Find attached a file I call HistoryMaker. Some of it was borrowed from an open source file I found and some of it was my own. In this file with a few relations and a few scripts you can keep track of your user moves. Kinda of like Big Brother is watching. So download it and enjoy. As far as your users go----Mum the word.

HistoryMaker.zip

A great file! I am an extreme newbie but I think I can figure out how to make it work in my application (which is nowhere near going onto a web application yet) ...

But there are a couple of things that would be helpful for me to capture, since I gather statistics and sometimes need to know if someone has changed a field (in error) which impacts the statistics, and if so, what was it before, and before that, and before that? so it can be changed back if necessary ...

For instance, I envision being able to "hit" an "audit history" button on a particular record which displays a bunch of the stuff you capture, but also the date and time and user name of the person who changed a certain field, what that field name was, what the value was originally before they changed it, and what they changed it to, and/or back to if they changed their mind, even if it was right after they made the first change (if they exited out of the record and then went back and changed it again, I would still want to know why they did it because perhaps they were right to change it in the first place but then had second thoughts...). Talk about BIG BROTHER!

For instance I'd like to see in a table format:

HistoryID or AuditSequenceNo or SomethingNo|then -

|Date|Time|UserName|FieldName|OldValue|NewValue|Reason and/or Comment(only the most important fields require a reason - the dialog requires them - ie YesInStats or NoInStats - but comments are widely used and they say a lot and the dialog asks for them too)

The History file would create an entry each time they change a field that is flagged to record History. For instance I couldn't care less if they changed somebody's name, or a spelling. Only fields which impacted the statistics would be tracked ...

Maybe this response of mine should be posted in a different place? Or I should be able to figure it out for myself? I'm a newbie, so tell me where or how - and thanks for listening.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.