Server Maintenance This Week. ×

troi file plugin when sharing files in this forum

This topic is 7663 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm a FM newbie, and under the gun, and I've been lucky to have found some people here who are helping me with my first (and very complicated) DB(s) by looking at my files. I've got a situation which is custom-made for the Troi File plugin, and I just got into it tonight - it works like a charm - but does that mean I can't send them my files anymore unless they have it too?

Thanks for helping me with my learning curve -

You can get a developer's license that will allow you to distribute an unlimited # of plugin copies. If you have the standard lowest cost license, you are not allowed to freely distribute it. The license is for one copy only.

Steve

thanks Steve - (how's Vegas?) Even though I'm "developing" on the fly (LOL, my learning curve is very steep!), my DB is not ready and I'm not ready to distribute. I'm sure when it is (a couple of months if I survive this), the developer's license will be dealt with. But I do like all these incredible helpers from the forum who are willing to look at my files to be able to see certain scripts that use the plugins. Maybe I should tell them to go get it for themselves before i send my files? would that work?

Bonnie

We're starting to get hot...supposed to be in the middle 90's thru the next week.

A lot of developers either have Troi or one of a number of other similar plugins. I also use his Dialog plugin. It depends on what your really doing that you need to send files around.

I'm just sending the files around when you guys from the forum are willing to take pity on me and help. It's my first DB and my first exposure to FM and I can't do it fulltime, I get really only one day/week plus whatever night/weekends I can spend - so I need all the help I can get. I guess either my helpers would have the plugin or it doesn't really matter, for this purpose.

What's the Dialog plugin? Sounds intriguing. (I can go and figure this out - no need to jump right on an answer.)

Thanks Steve. Send that weather here, man - in the high 40s and upper 50s here all this week - brutal. I don't mind sitting by the computer.

Hello Bonnie,

There are really two separate issues as regards sending your files for others to look at, when you are using a plug-in.

One is that they will have to have a copy of the plug-in loaded on their system in order for the relevant script steps to work. That's not a huge problem, because as Steve says, a lot of developers already have Troi File, and those that dopn't can download a free demo from the Troi site (if they're really keen to help you, that is). At need, you could send them an unregistered copy of the plug-in along with your solution files.

The other issue, however, relates to legality and licencing. When you purchased your license to Troi File, you would have received a license activation code. What matters in relation to sending the files is that you don't send the license code in any form because to do so would be a breach of your single user license with Troi. That means that if your license registration code is included in script/s and/or field/s in your database files, you would have to remove it before sending the files.

Provided the registration details are not sent, there should be no problem. When the recipients of your files open them, the plug-in will be operating in demo mode and will time-out after an hour or so, but unless they're going to start doing some serious development work on them for you, that should not present too much of an impediment. wink.gif

Hi Ray,

I feel honored to have received this info from someone with your true guru status!

I also feel honored when someone cares enough to want to see my files, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't spend more than an hour on helping me develop my first DB. They either have the plugin or not, as I understand it, and if they don't, they can get it, and it will not be problematic for the purpose of this problem-solving. Also, I don't know how to send the activation code in a script or field. I am just learning. So apparently I can rest easy when sending my files around...

I will probably need some more advice when it comes time to put this beast on the server, with 23 users ...

But first things first. Thanks for the education about this. You guys are terrific.

Bonnie

This topic is 7663 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.