Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Import part of a record?

This topic is 8107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Lets say I have a database with lots of records and fields.

Can I update one of those records with an import of only the fields that need updating or will it wipe out the other fields in that record?

[ February 12, 2002, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: signal ]

Don't get your hopes up; this isn't exactly an answer to your question, but...

Often, I'll open FMP and create a file (or two, or three) just to test a possible solution to a question. I was about to do the same thing here, just to be able to answer your question, when it occurred to me to suggest that you do the same.

Create a file with two text fields. Create some records in that file. Then save a copy of the file and change some of the data. Then import, only importing one of the fields. See what happens.

There are two benefits to this general approach (i.e. creating test files). One is that you can answer your questions without screwing up your main files. Another is that you will often bring the problem into focus. In this case the question is clear, but many posts are muddled; if people would try this problem-solving approach, they will often come to understand precisely what they want to accomplish.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. Let us know what you find.

Danger! Danger Will Robinson! <frantic waving of arms>

Any solution that relies on importing will break when used multi-user! Try using global fields and a relationship instead to bring the data across.

Unfortuneately, there are a gazillion variations on how the data could change. And each user will be storing and modifying their own set of data. The only changes I want to import are things like an address or phone or email change. Then I can give the end user the option to import the file or just manually enter the changed info.

I don't need anything synced.

This topic is 8107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.