Displaying PDF in container field

This topic is 8060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Guys,

I would like to be able to import a PDF into a container field and actually be able to display it in the record. Therefore if printing the record it would print the PDF.. much like you can with word documents.

I know i can import PDF to the container field but can it actaully display in the record?!

is this possible or could anyone suggest a suitable work around.

thanks

I once spent *hours* trying to find a way to do this, so I'm happy to be able to pass this on!

To place the title page of a PDF doc into a FM field, open Acrobat and make sure you are viewing the document in Actual Size and that you have selected the Graphics Select Tool. Then Edit > Select All, Edit > Copy, to place on the clip-board. Then just Paste into the container field in Filemaker. As long as the image you copied from Acrobat was Actual Size, you can size the FM container field to any dimension and the contents will 'grow' with the field size. It'll print too.

If you want the whole PDF file in FM, you're in for a bit more work, because FM doesn't allow scroll bars on a container field. Create a repeating container field with as many repetitions as there pages in the doc and copy and paste a page into each (hope this isn't a legal doc!). This repeating field does not have to be on your layout. Then place a button on the layout with a script to get each repetition in turn into a 'show' container field. You'll need a counter field to keep track of where you are. You could have a 'back' button too. That's it!

No, but that was because I was only ever printing a small version of the PDF title page - bigger than a thumbnail, but not actual size.

If you want to print the actual size PDF doc "in the middle" of your FM file (so you don't have collating issues) you can script this with the Send Message script step to open the PDF in Acrobat, and then another Send Message to print it. Then you retain the original print quality. At least, that's the Windows way.

This topic is 8060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.