Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Server and LDAP

This topic is 6896 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Has anyone successfully got Filemaker Server to register with OS X Server via the openLDAP? I am not sure how I to extend the default schema to include the ou=Filemaker... line that the read me says I need.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I need to know this too - desperately! The help files in Filemaker server talk about it a bit but it only goes half the way. I rang Filemaker UK on this and apparently even they don't have any information on how to bind FM Server to an OS X Server! ...a commonly required configuration I would have thought! Please, can anyone reply on this subject with some good clear advice.

Thanks

I currently have my users authenticating via my Open LDAP, however in my Event.log for FMS i continue to get a "Registration with Directory Service failed" message. As far as I can tell my FMS isn't telling the OD server that it is an FMS server. It does however authenticate my users without a problem.

I have even gone as far as creating a new organizational unit (ou=FileMaker) in my OD, using phpldapadmin, but don't know where to go from there.

d

Authentication is by Open Directory or by Active Directory. You can register the server via LDAP for tracking purpoises. But the authentication is via the OD or AD. Or, you can establish local accounts and groups on the server CPU.

See the tech briefs on the FMI web site at http://www.filemaker.com/upgrade/techbriefs.html

• 2 weeks later...

Registration with an OD is probably just as tricky as making it work with AD. The syntax for the distinguished name has to be just right. First time I did it took me several days to do it.

So keep trying with different syntaxes...

HTH

Wim

• 8 months later...

Still no documentation available from FileMaker (notice we are almost 9 months later).

The syntax for the login seems to be:

uid=root,cn=users,dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=xxx (where you use xxx each time for a part of the domain name)

and the password the root password, or the uid any account that's in the LDAPv3 and has "administer this directory domain" privileges.

You can verify the FileMaker Server "Event.log" file in de console application, it changes from "Invalid DN syntax" to "invalid credentials" to the final one for me: Undefined atribute type. OK. It's telling me my login and password are accepted, but that I am sending data that doesn't fit into the LDAP server.

It would be really great if FileMaker Inc made this "filemaker7.schema" file available (I suppose this is the way to do it), and document things a little bit, so we can finally register a FileMaker Server 7 to an OS X server's LDAP directory service.

Wim, you made this really cool PDF on external authentication, maybe FileMaker should ask you to write a tech brief on this directory service registration thingy as well. -- peter

This topic is 6896 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.