Sign in to follow this  
s_t_e_v_e

UPDATE validate portal field by calc NOT

Hello

Here is some new info from 1 day of trial and error and 2 min FM tech support (I wish they did weekends!):

I am trying to validate a portal field using a calculation that sums the value of same field over the number of records created in the portal (using a self-join relationship). SPecifically, I enter a percent in each record, and the sum of all the percents must be 100. The calculation doesn't occur until after the portal record changed or portal exited, so validation doesn't occur properly.

FM says only by using a script (hence, an uwieldy button) can I get this to work. I found another ugly workaround: I validate from another portal on the same layout. It's a bit confusing to user, being prompted to revert or change the value of a field that is not the field being validated, but still better than a button, since most of the time 1 single portal record will be created and it defaults to 100.

I have, and I encourage anyone out there to submit a request to FM to allow scripts to be run in a calculation (just like all those other functions in there).

Barring that, I have heard of the Events plugin from Waves in Motion, which lets you trigger a script on exiting a field. May relent and buy in the future once this solution is installed.

Thanks,

Steve B.

Barring that, I have heard of the Events plugin from Waves in Motion, which lets you trigger a script on exiting a field. May relent and buy in the future once this solution is installed.

Look at the attached file (URL to its source is dead)

Hi,

Works fine for me....

Make sure you used the appropriate calcs.

Your num field

Your Num/Sum(Selfjoin::Your Num) ----->%

Well, if I understood what you were looking for...