Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relationships disappear

davest

This topic is 7617 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I run a multi-user system using FMServer 5.5 on Windows NT 4.0 and all of a suddenly the relationships disappear from a file at the core of my system. The file is otherwise unharmed and the service does not go down and there is nothing bad showing in the Application (or system logs).

Has anyone come across this problem?

Do you have a solution.

Could it be:

outside influences on the HD

corrupt data

corruption on a layout?

Help?

Hi,

From what you have said in your post in sounds as though this has happened on more than one occasion.

If this is the case the cause could be that your database has become corrupted. Try using the recover command in FM and see if this helps.

Ed.

Just warning -- after recover do not use that database.

Create new clone and import records into new clone.

Now, how the relation disappeared and where?

It also looks to me like you are crossing files from server and local from local hard disk.

Hi Eddy

Thanks for that I'm afraid we tried that with no luck what we normally do is import records into a cloned copy of the file on matching names. Unfortunalely this takes 2 hours on our database using a fast machine.

I am currently rebuilding the file getting rid of 5 years of accumulated fields, scripts,forms and reports (and relationships!)

But I was wondcering if I have missed anything.

Thanks

Simple stuff first: check that the key fields on both sides of the realtionship are set to the dame data type (text, number etc).

Data type mis-match leads to some very peculuar and intermittent rlationship problems.

Then again, you mentioned you're cleaning up fields.... open the relationship definition and check that it doesn't have a deleted field (it'll appear as <field missing>) in the relationship sort option. This has caught me in the past, and LiveOak too.

Thanks for that Vaughan I think the relationships are matched but I will certainly check them.

The secnario is think looking at a relationship screen full of links and then the next second the screen is blank in working hours when everyone is working.

I am in contact with Filemaker about this problem!

This topic is 7617 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.