FileMaker 6.0 Compatable with 5.0

This topic is 7587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our company is upgrading to FMP 6.0 from 5.0. Can someone tell me if a database is upgraded or created in 6.0, can it be read in 5.0? I know when we went from 4.0 to 5.0 once the database was converted to 5.0 it could not be read in 4.0. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you

As long as the FMP6- or FMP5.5-specific features (like custom dialog boxes) are not used then the files will be able to be used in FMP 5.0.

Your best bet is to only develop with FMP 5.0 so you don't get tempted to use the new features (there are a lot of useful goodies between 5.0 and 6.0). As far as a user (non-developer) is concerned it doesn't matter which version they are using to open 5.0 databases.

John, at this point in the life of 6.0, (I would guess quite soon FM will release another PAID update), it is not worth paying for 6.0. This version has a lot of problems, and quite frankly was never worth the price charged, especially if you are happy with your current versions performance.

We have not seen an update for 6.0 for some time now and I would guess given their history we will end up paying for bug fixes in 6.0 with the next release. Bottom line at this date wait a bit for the next release and pay at that point.

Hi Rodin,

that's not quite true. The xml, folder + picture import functions + the new templates supplied with 6.0 are well worth the price (which is a lot higher in Germany as in the US. I still remember paying $55 for FileMaker 3.0 single platform, full version, now it's

This topic is 7587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.