Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Apple G5

kenneth2k1

This topic is 7619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Or how about a FM version that runs reliabily on 10.2 even?

grin.gif

Actually, I haven't run into problems w/ 10.2.2 yet.

Supposedly, any program running on 10.2 should run on 10.3. Or so Apple says. But we've all known them to lie before. Anyways, I thought all the Mac Monkeys out there would like to read that.

Ken

Hey, you should all go over to the apple.com website and check out the new G5. I never thought they would get it off the ground, but now that they've dropped Motorola, it appears Apple has made the fastest desktop PC.

Hi Ken,

Most of the Panther features also look really cool.

Really hope that these new machine will put Apple back in the raw-speed-race, the benchmarks certainly look promising!

I'm curious about Filemaker's next move. If they would develop along the lines that Apple seems to have set for MacOS X then you would expect Filemaker to come out with a sort of Filemaker frontend to existing database engines, like MySQL etc.

A bit like Servoy, (see www.servoy.com) but with a more idiot proof and preferably better looking and working user interface.

Ernst.

Hi Ernst:

I don't have much experience with it, but technically FM can act as a front end to a db with ODBC drivers and supports sql queries. Although it doesn't seem to be as simple as Servoy R2 to set up.

I was checking out the Servoy R2 suite, and it's hard to draw similarities between the 2 products. FM is a DBMS and Servoy R2 looks like a RAD suite.

FM definitely has RAD qualities, but also has a self contained database system. Since Servoy R2 is a suite, it comes with a 3rd party database system.

It does look like R2 is perfect for front end stuff. Just to expand my horizons, I'll check out the demo. But call me stubborn, I like FM.

Ken

Hey Ken,

I've always thought that the ODCB drivers and SQL query stuff was something that Filemaker had somehow 'glued' onto the program, whilst Servoy takes this as a starting point for their product.

>>But call me stubborn, I like FM.

Likewise!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Ernst.

This topic is 7619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.