Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Counting diffrent Text of a field In Browse Mode

jimkent

This topic is 7624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a "summary page" that is running in browse mode. It is needed to do this because I have buttons assigned to it that when someone clicks on it, it goes to the selected record.

I was wondering if there is any way to put a summary count of text in the body of the Browse Mode document? In other words, a Field named <<Position>> has in it, text like: V.P. of Sales, or Drill press operator, etc. And it needs to be summarized and counted. For instance, there might be 4 V.P.s of sales. I need to put a field next to the position field that says "4" so when I browse it, I see that I have 4 VP's of sales. I can then create a button that goes to the first record of the four V.P..

I know, i can do this in preview mode because of all the fancy parts I can put in but Preview mode doesn't allow any interactivity (i.e. buttons)or does it? If this makes any sense to anyone, could you please help?

Jim

It makes complete sense and is one of the things that bewilders me about FMP... I would have never made something so useful as the "summary parts" a second-class mechanism, only available in printed reports... that it could be extremely useful in interactive reports should be *obvious*... and I can't see why it would be difficult to do in Browse mode vs. Preview mode.

Of course, full up Pivot Tables for both printed reports and browse mode would also seem to be an obviously useful (critical in my mind) mechanism... and is also surprisingly missing. Heck, even just a straight-forward mechanism for 2D tables.

So, with that long "me too", let me ask:

Has anyone worked on clever methods of getting summary type results in browse mode?

Are there any plug-ins that can do summary type structures in browse mode?

A plug-in Pivot Table? or 2D tables? (that work on the Mac; there is a Windoze-only Pivot Table plug-in)

Thanks.

Create a self-relationship on the field.

Count (self-relationship::field) is going to tell you many records in the whole file have that same value in that field.

Go To Related Record ["self-relationship"] is going to go to the 1st record (1st entered, or 1st in the sort order if you've sorted the self-relationship.

This topic is 7624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.