Server Maintenance This Week. ×

VPN under 10.2.3

Gabriela

This topic is 7596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anybody have experience accessing files via VPN in 10.2.3?

The files are served on a G4 running OS9.2 which is part of a network of computers connecting to the Internet via a router and ADSL, we have no problems getting to the files from a PC using ADSL and VPN. However, we are now adding G4s running 10.2.3 and while I can establish a connection via VPN, the files do not show up in the Host list of Filemaker.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Gabriela

Anatoli, yes. I first connect via Internet Connect - VPN Connection using the router IP address and users ID and Password to get through the firewall. That works fine. Then I open Filemaker, go to open - Host and choose Specify Server, typing in the IP address of the Mac behind the firewall I'm trying to get into. The Mac itself runs 9.2 and does not have firewall. As I say, it works fine via Windows XP, but I can't get there from within Mac 10.2.3. Any other ideas?

Yeap, we tried to avoid Mac X for as long a we could. But once you get into buying a new machine, that's it. One of my clients has his system working between office and warehouses via ADSL, but now he wants to buy a new Mac Powerbook, which he will want to use from on the road to access his files. And I'd really like to figure out how to make it work, before he spends the money on it. Anyway, thanks for your help. I'm sure it's something simple I've overlooked in settting up Filemaker preferences or Mac OS X network, as X is still rather new to me. I'll keep trying.

Cheers, Gabriela

Just in case anybody is interested... the problem was indeed our every so slow 56k connection. Once we had connected the guest computer (Mac OS X) onto broadband, the networking worked a treat! No problems what so ever. why the slow connection didn't even let me see the files in the Filemaker - open -Host dialogue is a mystery to me, but never mind. It's working now. thanks to Anatoli and anybody else who may have been thinking about the problem.

Gabriela

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation, but I have noticed that sometimes Mac OS X will time out or ignore a directive without generating a user alert... it's like it just ignores whatever it was you did and is afraid to tell you it failed. [sigh] [/sigh]

Oh, and I think only Mac OS X Server comes with a firewall.

This topic is 7596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.