Designating user names

This topic is 8677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to create user names that simply takes the user's first and last name and put them together. My problem is, if there are duplicate names, I would like the field

to automatically calculate it so that it ends up being FirstLast2, FirstLast3 etc... How would I go about doing that?

Thanks, Anita

quote:

Originally posted by softhead:

I would like to create user names that simply takes the user's first and last name and put them together. My problem is, if there are duplicate names, I would like the field

to automatically calculate it so that it ends up being FirstLast2, FirstLast3 etc... How would I go about doing that?

Thanks, Anita

You will need one field that is the "test" calculation and is simply FirstName & LastName. Setup a Self relationship Test=Test.

Setup a second field, which will be your actual calculation. FirstName & LastName & NumToText ( Count (TestRelationship::TestCalc) )

The result should be the name followed by 1, 2, 3, etc.

You might need to throw in some additional error trapping and cases, such as the supression of the "1", when it is the first name, and so on.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

You will need one field that is the "test" calculation and is simply FirstName & LastName. Setup a Self relationship Test=Test.

Setup a second field, which will be your actual calculation. FirstName & LastName & NumToText ( Count (TestRelationship::TestCalc) )

The result should be the name followed by 1, 2, 3, etc.

You might need to throw in some additional error trapping and cases, such as the supression of the "1", when it is the first name, and so on.

This was a very good idea, but unfortunately, if there were 3 people with the same name, it would change all of their user names to First Last3. Would I have to use a script?

Thanks,

Anita

I did try using a serial number, but how would I add just the necessary serial number to identical user names? All I can do is add a number to everyone's name and that just seems to be rather inefficient as there are about 200 000 users...

Thanks,

Anita

This topic is 8677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.