Creating PDFs from FileMaker.

FossilFM

This topic is 6930 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What is the simplest approach in creating PDFs from FileMaker?

I am looking for a solution where the script simply creates the PDF files based on the found records similar to creating HTML files from FileMaker using an XSLT.

I would use an XSLT stylesheet but I can't seem to find any documentation or simple example on creating PDF with XSLT in FileMaker.

I was thinking of PrintToPDF but this only seems to work for OS 9 and not OS X. Is there an update to this that I can use in OS X?

Thanks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

creating PDF with XSLT is more than complicated, since you have to give the individual coordiantes for each object you want to have included. Thats linke paint by numbers on steroids.

On Os x, you dont need print2pdf, since PDF is native format of the printer dirver. (ever seen that litte "save as pfd" button?). This & a 10 line AplleScript should do the job.

• 4 weeks later...

Use the full version of Adobe Acrobat (make sure you install Acrobat Distiller), create a layout with the form, look, and feel you want, and print your document to distiller. Viola!

One script step, nothing to buy, and works cross platform! Easy as pie...

Clark!

If you're Windows platform ... just mentioned on another forum is CutePDF Printer. "The free CutePDF Printer enables you to create basic PDF files from any Windows app. They also offer various PDF form tools include CutePDF Form Filler which is free for non-commerical home use."

Acro Software CutePDF Printer

However, I haven't played with it yet but it installs itself as a "printer subsystem. This enables virtually any Windows applications (must be able to print) to create perfect PDF documents - with just a push of a button! smile.gif

LaRetta

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there is a way to automate this process? Is it possible from FMP, to have a script that sends my print layout to Acrobat Distiller/Writer with a specified filename ie. fileXYZ.pdf?

I am using FMP 6.0 on Windows and Acrobat Distiller/Writer to create the PDF file.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

WARNING

Be VERY sure Afeina's products are exactly what you need before you purchase a license. We made the mistake of purchasing after integrating the AfFiler and ProPrint plugins and testing them for a couple hours. After purchasing, we ran into MAJOR stability issues with both plugins and gave up.

NO REFUNDS!!

We're now out over $400 and have nothing but a couple useless, unstable, thrown-together glorified batch files. Afeina has a LONG way to go before their products are worth this much money.

If you're looking for PDF generation, emailing and printer switching capabilites, I heartily recommend the schubec PS2PDF plugin (yes, it's an actual FMX plugin, unlike Afeina's crap) available at www.schubec.com.

This topic is 6930 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.