Message Choices

This topic is 8656 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there any way to change the "dialog" that runs when a delete record button is pressed? I don't mind the initial "permanently delete this ENTIRE record? but when the user selects cancel, an annoying second message asks if they wish to continue with "this script?" The problem is, most of my users don't know what "this script" is so they aren't sure whether to cancel or continue.

I'd rather that after a message asked if they were sure they wanted to delete this record, the script would automatically resume (based on a cancel choice). I tried the 'show message' step followed by an if. I can get the record to delete by using 'status(current message choice) if they select Yes, but it also deletes if cancel is chosen.

Can anyone walk me through the 'else' half of this statement?

• Newbies

Hi there,

Got an answer for your delete problem:

show message[delete record

IF ["status(current message choice)=1"]

Exit Script

End if

IF ["status(current message choice)=2"]

delete record/request [no dialog]

End if

NB: the status part is done as a calculation - try it

Stella

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by tmac:

Is there any way to change the "dialog" that runs when a delete record button is pressed? I don't mind the initial "permanently delete this ENTIRE record? but when the user selects cancel, an annoying second message asks if they wish to continue with "this script?" The problem is, most of my users don't know what "this script" is so they aren't sure whether to cancel or continue.

I'd rather that after a message asked if they were sure they wanted to delete this record, the script would automatically resume (based on a cancel choice). I tried the 'show message' step followed by an if. I can get the record to delete by using 'status(current message choice) if they select Yes, but it also deletes if cancel is chosen.

Can anyone walk me through the 'else' half of this statement?

The reason that you get the second message is that you have not turned on "Error Capture", thus the application is sending all error messages to the user.

Beginning of your scrip put the "Set Error Capture (On)" step, and at the end put "Set Error Capture (off)".

This will eliminate some of the messages and allow you to trap and deal with errors yourself.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

Err, I thought he "Allow Abort" script step did this?

Allow abort allows the user the option of cancelling the progress of the script. That is it.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

This topic is 8656 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.