Export Script Step Problem

This topic is 8676 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is a Mac specific problem but it involves a script step so I have posted it here. The FileMaker version is 4.03.

Scenario:

I manually export (via menu commands) a found set of records to a Zip100 disk mounted on the desktop. Works fine. I then repeat the procedure in order to specify the export to replace the existing file on the Zip. Works fine. Next I create a script to export these records using the settings I have just created. Then I run the script and the following Apple OS message appears.

- "FileName.fp3" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different name. -

This happens using either a Mac formatted Zip or a Windows formatted Zip. I have created a work around by exporting the data to the hard disk and then using AppleScript to copy the file to the Zip, which works, but this behavior bugs me. This does not happen on the windows platform. I would appreciate any comments.

geod

quote:

Originally posted by geod:

This is a Mac specific problem but it involves a script step so I have posted it here. The FileMaker version is 4.03.

Scenario:

I manually export (via menu commands) a found set of records to a Zip100 disk mounted on the desktop. Works fine. I then repeat the procedure in order to specify the export to replace the existing file on the Zip. Works fine. Next I create a script to export these records using the settings I have just created. Then I run the script and the following Apple OS message appears.

- "FileName.fp3" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different name. -

This happens using either a Mac formatted Zip or a Windows formatted Zip. I have created a work around by exporting the data to the hard disk and then using AppleScript to copy the file to the Zip, which works, but this behavior bugs me. This does not happen on the windows platform. I would appreciate any comments.

geod

My guess is that this is due to differences in the file system and how disks are handled. PC systems write to the device (i.e. the zip DRIVE), while MacOS writes to the disk itself.

For the MacOS the particular disk does not exist if the disk is not in the drive, or if a different disk is inserted. The PC system writes to the device, which is always present, and only generates an error if a disk is not in the drive.

The best bet is to do what you are currently doing via Applescript or check and see if one of the FMP Plugins has the capability to do this kind of thing. Although I doubt that this is the case.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8676 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.