Server Maintenance This Week. ×

postscript printers problems in a win2000 network!

bloodyhell

This topic is 7542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got a network between 2 pc's, 1 color laser printer and 1 laser printer.

The computers are both printer client and server (1 printer is linked in local to both).

The program used is filemaker pro 4.0, but I don't think that is the problem, 'cause the trial of filemaker pro 6.0 doesn't make any difference.

The problems started when I upgraded the 2 machines with windows 2000 (from win98SE), we use postscript printers drivers, and there are many differente settings to print properly.

These settings need to be saved on the file to record a script (the same as macros more or less), and it always worked fine with win98se.

But now changing (or sometimes even using) a script that uses printer setups from one machine sets back to default the scrips on the other machine.

Even just triyng to use another printer instead of the local one gives problems.

I think the problem is in the "brigde" between filemaker scripts, postscript printers and network printers drivers in windows2000!

Please help me, the problem is very annoying, I would be very grateful if you can give me an hand!

bye

• 4 weeks later...

RE: Aren't they already in win2000?

W2000 is excellent operating system, but sometimes with obsolete drivers and wrong defaults.

When we had problem with Windows printing from FM as the only application with such problem, FMI advice was to use older HP drives. It helped.

Have you updated your drivers?

If not, look here. (this is free)

Have you applied the latest updater for your version of Filemaker?

If not, look here. (this is free also)

alright, I downloaded and installed the adobe postscript drivers, but I still haven't understood what are they for!

they ask me to install to a printer, I can't find mine and I check generic postscript printer.

Then when it tries to make a proof print the fax-machine starts to print and doesn't stop!!

so... do I have to install postscript adobe drivers first or first are the printers drivers??

The Adobe PS driver is an alternative to the driver that came with your printer, using this driver can solve some problems with postscript printers. This driver may or may not solve your problem, it is something to try.

Check the installation instructions for the driver, you need the PPD for your printer to install this driver. This driver is compatible with Postscript Level 2 and higher. If your device is Postscript Level 1, don't install this driver.

slstrother said:

The Adobe PS driver is an alternative to the driver that came with your printer, using this driver can solve some problems with postscript printers. This driver may or may not solve your problem, it is something to try.

Check the installation instructions for the driver, you need the PPD for your printer to install this driver. This driver is compatible with Postscript Level 2 and higher. If your device is Postscript Level 1, don't install this driver.

the printers are: hp lasercolor 2500 and hp laserjet 4000.

I didn't check the compatibilit

slstrother said:

Both of your printers emulate Postscript Level 3. They are not true postscript devices. The Adobe PS driver likely will not help you.

Have you tried using the pcl drivers for your printers instead?

We normally use ps drivers because they keep informations about print setup in scripts.

When there was windows 98 we used to print indifferently from one of the two printers obtaining the same results!

but now the question is, how can I get my color laser printer working??

Anatoli said:

Can other applications use the printers at full capacity? In another words -- are printers and their drivers properly installed in OS?

yes, now they are working at full capacity luckily!

there were some troubles with the HP jet admin I think...

I still have the problem of the printing scripts... do you think I can use even PCL??

So is it sorted out?

For Script printing -- install Generic / Text Only driver on Windows and you can also print to text files.

There are some bugs in script printing e.g. it works from Print from File Menu and not printing directly from ScriptMaker on some configurations. I've never cracked this one frown.gif

For Script printing -- install Generic / Text Only driver on Windows and you can also print to text files.

sorry but what do you mean???

Print on file just makes a text file, doesn't it??

I tried with the PCL but I can't solve it, Ps is the only solution

You can print scripts to Text file and open that in Text editor. In most cases that is sufficient for script referencing. And obviously you can also print scripts if needed directly or later from text file as well.

ok I tried to do that but, is it useful??

I get very strange characters in the text file, how can I try to print without getting them??

I was thinking, if my printers support postscript language (one level 3 and the other one level 2) I may try to print on a generic postscript printer, so it should be the same for both!

Yesterday I tried to print on lpt2 (theorically the laser color port) with the generic driver, but the fax machine (on lpt1) started to print madly!!

bloodyhell said:

ok I tried to do that but, is it useful??

I get very strange characters in the text file, how can I try to print without getting them??

I bet you are not using Generic Text Printer driver! Those characters cannot be present if you use that...

You probably missed the point -- you even don't need to print scripts. Just display them in text editor for reference.

ok Anatoli... I've tried another important thing and I found out where is the problem!

I linked to the same computer both the printers (in local) and now everything is fine!

they don't fight and scripts work!

but the problem is that if you try to print from the other pc the settings go back to 100% and the problem still remains.

so... any ideas??

I even tried to logon from the other pc using the same user, but it still doesn't work!

This topic is 7542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.