'Not enough disk space' error

This topic is 8625 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am planning to use scripts that use the "Save a copy as" command to backup databases on the server but whenever I invoke it I get the following error message:

"There may not be enough disk space to complete this operation. Filemaker will not be able to open this file if this operation fails. Proceed anyway?"

The databases in question are between 130KB to approx 1MB, the partition they sit on has 34.5MB free and the partition on which the copies are being made has 14.3GB free.

If I answer "Yes" to the dialog box the copy is created with no problems but when I call the script using the ScriptScheduler plugin any copy that already existed in the target directory is deleted and a new one is not created.

On my local machine running the script either manually or using the scheduler works just fine with the copy being replaced with no errors.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this error and what I can do to get rid of it?

Please advise,

Doug

quote:

Originally posted by djones:

I am planning to use scripts that use the "Save a copy as" command to backup databases on the server but whenever I invoke it I get the following error message:

"There may not be enough disk space to complete this operation. Filemaker will not be able to open this file if this operation fails. Proceed anyway?"

The databases in question are between 130KB to approx 1MB, the partition they sit on has 34.5MB free and the partition on which the copies are being made has 14.3GB free.

If I answer "Yes" to the dialog box the copy is created with no problems but when I call the script using the ScriptScheduler plugin any copy that already existed in the target directory is deleted and a new one is not created.

On my local machine running the script either manually or using the scheduler works just fine with the copy being replaced with no errors.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this error and what I can do to get rid of it?

Well generally the message is due to "There may not be enough disk space to complete this operation. Filemaker will not be able to open this file if this operation fails. Proceed anyway?".

Start by making more disk space on the partition that the FMP files are on. Generally no partition should have less than 10% space available, especially if it is the systems boot partition.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

Well generally the message is due to "There may not be enough disk space to complete this operation. Filemaker will not be able to open this file if this operation fails. Proceed anyway?".

Which was the purpose of my stating in my original message that the databases in question are between 130KB to approx 1MB, the partition they sit on has 34.5MB free and the partition on which the copies are being made has 14.3GB free.

In other words there is enough space at least in the target partition. Granted the partition where the original DBs are has less than 10% of its total capacity free but that's not where the copies are being saved.

Any other ideas?

quote:

Originally posted by djones:

Which was the purpose of my stating in my original message that the databases in question are between 130KB to approx 1MB, the partition they sit on has 34.5MB free and the partition on which the copies are being made has 14.3GB free.

In other words there is enough space at least in the target partition. Granted the partition where the original DBs are has less than 10% of its total capacity free but that's not where the copies are being saved.

Any other ideas?

As I stated there is not engough disk space in the partition that the files RESIDE on to complete the operation.

Again, no partition should have less than 10% free space and some might need more for some operations.

Free up space on the partition that the files reside on, and possibly the startup drive as well, since that is where your cache is located on.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

There was no hope of creating and maintaining 10% free on the partition that the DBs resided on so I came in this morning and reinstalled FMP on a different partition with far more free space then reconfigured WebServerConnector to point IIS in the new direction. This has taken care of the problem.

Thank you for your help,

Doug

Well I'm back with the same error.

I am running on NT4.0 SP5 with two logical drives: C (1GB w/ 25% free space) and D (16GB w/ 80% free space). The OS is on C and the FMP program and DBs are on D.

The save a copy as command was working for a few days but as of this morning has stopped.

Contrary to the first time I experienced it there is enough free space on both the startup volume and the volume that the DBs sit on.

Any ideas on other things I should look at?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

This topic is 8625 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.