Server Maintenance This Week. ×

PDF Script in a multi-user OS X solution

kerver

This topic is 7575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm familiar with the process for scripting PDF printing in OS X but this process doesn't work on a networked database. I've tried creating the same "PDF" preset on multiple machines but I get a printing error when anybody other than the host runs the script. Is there any way to script printing to PDF that everybody in the building can use?

It is a bit of a shot in the dark, but you could try if it works if you

- specify the same (network) printer on both host and client, then

- open the print script in script editor and

- replace the 'page setup' settings after exiting the script edit window.

I'd be interested to know what happens.

Regards,

Ernst.

When I use the client to replace 'page setup' settings, the host can no longer print with the 'PDF' preset. The host now gets the same error as the client did. I'm wondering if Filemaker is storing the exact path to the 'com.apple.print.custompresets.plist' file which is stored in the ~/library/preferences folder. If so, the stored path wouldn't work for a different user name.

Hey Kerver,

I tested it by defining a page setup and then loging in ith another user. Got the same error.

So I think you are suggesting in the right direction. Either the path to the preset, or the path for storing the pdf file, or both, might be causing havoc.

I'll do another test to rule out the second option.

Ernst.

I'm back.

I did the test by defining the path to save the .pdf file to, to a location (an extra harddisk) that is not specific for one user and I did NOT get the error.

You might try and see what happens if you define the path for the .pdf file to a server volume that's visible on all clients and the host. I think that will work.

Regards,

Ernst.

One suggestion would be to have the page setup step (which actually stores the data) in a single user file that is on each users computer.

I'd be happy to hear the results!

Good night,

Ernst.

ernst said:

A -crappy- solution could be to make a small partition on every workstation just for pdf's.

You definitely hit the nail on the head with that one...it's crappy smile.gif. For now I think I'll direct the PDFs to the 'Shared' folder inside the 'Users' folder. This is a consistant path for everybody. Even if the HD is named differently it still works.

This topic is 7575 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.