Server Maintenance This Week. ×

host file not found

superpickle

This topic is 7556 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am working with 3 eMacs (OS 9) that are on a larger network. I want them to share a FM file. OS 9 file sharing is NOT turned on. All 3 eMacs are running FM Pro6 w/ TCP/IP under the same subnet mask. The database file is on eMac #1 set to multi-user. eMacs #2 & #3 do not see the file when I try to OPEN REMOTE. I have tried to look under LOCAL HOST and by eMac #1's IP address.

The network "liaison"- I was told to go to this person if I needed help- told me there is a firewall "to the outside". He has been unreliable in his information in the past, so I don't know exactly what he means by this. He also said he isn't sure if there is a router in the system.

I was curious (it's always the little things that get overlooked), is the FM database file supposed to be stored in a certain location on eMac #1? It is currently on the desktop.

Any ideas will be greated with wild enthusiasm!!!

Hey Superpickle,

Great network administrator do you have there, congratulations!

Anyway, no, the location of the files is not really critical.

Files should be local to the copy of Filemaker that is acting as server (for performance reasons) and they should not be accessible directly by the other Filemaker's copies on the network. It seems both criteria are met.

Things to try:

- Check if all Filemaker copies have the same network protocol set (TCP/IP or AppleTalk)

- Check if all files are set to be 'multi-user' (In the file menu of the Filemaker copy that's serving the databases

- Check TCP/IP settings if you are using that as network protocol. Generally speaking the first three IP numbers should be equal, the Fourth should be different (i.e. computer A 192.168.1.25, computer B 192.168.1.37 etc.)

- Check if the computers can see each other when Filesharing is turned on. (Maybe your network "liaison" also did the cabling?)

And about the firewall, if it's indeed only 'to the outside' then it should not make any difference for computers 'on the inside'

Hope this helps,

regards,

Ernst.

thanks for the fast reply (and condolences) Ernst

all eMacs have FM set to TCP/IP

the file is set to multi-user

the IP numbers on all three computers are sequenced properly

if I enable file sharing on eMac #1, #2 and #3 can open the file

(as HOST so that is no good)

I was hoping it was something simple I was overlooking.

I'll try asking the network dude to open port 5003 on the firewall on Monday.

You could try connecting two eMacs together with a crosswired ethernet cable (to see if it really IS the network causing problems)

Anyway, success and regards,

Ernst.

It would have helped if I had communicated properly with the users.

"Please keep IT open while I go to the other computers and connect"

was WAY too ambiguous a request.

It would behoove me to remember that users are not always on the same page as I am (and some probably don't even know where to find the book!!).

I admitted my error, humbled myself, rephrased the request to "please leave the DATABASE FILE OPEN while I go ot the other computers and connect", and it worked beautifully.

thanks

Don't feel too bad. I've seen this happen a couple of times this week. It's more common than you might think. But you figured it out because you're a superpickle. laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 7556 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.