sending emails

This topic is 8543 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm a filemaker novice and am having difficulty setting up a script to send emails from a filemaker pro 5 database. any help would be greatly appreciated. I use both a PC and Mac, so the script should be usable on both platforms. generally, I use netscape communicator for email, but have installed eudora because filemaker's help tells me that's what i need, but I still can't seem to get it to work. must I have my internet connection and eudora up and running before running the script? can a script connect to the internet, send an email, and then disconnect?

• 4 weeks later...

Check out a back issue of Macuser (26May Vol 16 No 11). Page 71 shows how to send an email through Outlook 5.

This does work - I've tested myself.

quote:

Originally posted by fmallas:

I'm a filemaker novice and am having difficulty setting up a script to send emails from a filemaker pro 5 database. any help would be greatly appreciated. I use both a PC and Mac, so the script should be usable on both platforms. generally, I use netscape communicator for email, but have installed eudora because filemaker's help tells me that's what i need, but I still can't seem to get it to work. must I have my internet connection and eudora up and running before running the script? can a script connect to the internet, send an email, and then disconnect?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I'm using FM Pro 4 & 5 and just used the Send Mail function in a script to extract data from my database and send through Outlook and Outlook Express.

It's pretty easy to do, you have the option of inserting the contents of a field or fixed text into the Send To, CC, Subject, and Message areas of the message.

My Send To in this case is static so that's entered into the script as text. My Subject and Message content is derived from new calculated fields that I have created in the FM file that combine data from several fields that contain the appropriate data.

This is a fairly simple process since I'm only sending data from the current record in the databbase.

The most recent issue of FileMaker Pro Advisor has an article about sending e-mail from FM, and they give some more complex examples. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

When my office moved from Eudora to Microsoft Outlook 8.2.2 for the Mac, our send mail buttons in our FM Pro 4 databases stopped working. I have several questions:

Will FM Pro 4 (or 5 for that matter) work with Outlook?

If Eudora is still left on the computer but is not the default e-mail client, will the button still work? Can it (Outlook) be made to work?

quote:

Originally posted by jcf:

When my office moved from Eudora to Microsoft Outlook 8.2.2 for the Mac, our send mail buttons in our FM Pro 4 databases stopped working. I have several questions:

Will FM Pro 4 (or 5 for that matter) work with Outlook?

If Eudora is still left on the computer but is not the default e-mail client, will the button still work? Can it (Outlook) be made to work?

FileMaker will work with Outlook, but not using the Send Mail command. You have to use Open URL and have Outlook set as your default email program.

If Eudora is still on the system, then I believe FileMaker will use it if there is a Send Mail command in a script.

Chuck

This topic is 8543 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.