question???

This topic is 8619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by bo0:

how would i make thumbnails pictures, when clicked on opens in a new window, the actual size of the picture???

any1 kno?

2 ways to do this.

One is to import the graphic into FMP, then make the field a small size, with the options set to "Reduce".

The other way is to use some graphics program to create the thumbnail images and import those into FMP. Then use scripting to open the actual graphics files.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

with the options set to reduce? how would i set the option to reduce... i am very much a beginner here...

but it sounds like the scripting would work better...

b/c i could load a smaller version of it, and the script could call out the bigger version correct???

where could i obtain a tutorial? or example of this?

and this database will be posted on the web, but the script would work on the web anyway right?

thank u very much moderator

[This message has been edited by bo0 (edited September 05, 2000).]

quote:

with the options set to reduce? how would i set the option to reduce... i am very much a beginner here...

but it sounds like the scripting would work better...

b/c i could load a smaller version of it, and the script could call out the bigger version correct???

where could i obtain a tutorial? or example of this?

and this database will be posted on the web, but the script would work on the web anyway right?

The option setting for graphics are in the Format menu. Click on the container or graphic and select the Format menu, then click the Graphics format. You will see the various options settings.

Also RTFM (read the fine manual) all of this is explained. Also picking up a good 3rd party book on Filemaker will help out here.

A simple script will not be able to load a larger copy of a graphic, since FMP will have no way of know what graphic or where it is located. You will need a combination of FMP and Applescript/WinBatch to accomplish this.

You might locate a tutorial on John Mark Osbourne's website www.databasepros.com.

Getting FMP scripts to work on the web is a whole 'nother kettle of fish and likely beyond your skills at this point. Invest in some books on FMP and the Web for more information.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

quote:

ok well i came upon a solution...

i have the graphic.. and made it a button, w/ a script attached to it.. that when it is clicked on... it opens a different layout w/ just that graphic and a go back button...

but there is one problem....

now that container feild acts like a global feild... how do i make it not?

cuz i have other records w/ container feilds.. and they are also running the script when clicked on...

how do i stop that from occuring?

One of two possibilities. One is that you actually have a global container field, the other that you have simply pasted the graphic onto the layout.

Paste the graphics into a container field, then put this container field on you layouts and format it as appropriate to that layout.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

ok well i came upon a solution...

i have the graphic.. and made it a button, w/ a script attached to it.. that when it is clicked on... it opens a different layout w/ just that graphic and a go back button...

but there is one problem....

now that container feild acts like a global feild... how do i make it not?

cuz i have other records w/ container feilds.. and they are also running the script when clicked on...

how do i stop that from occuring?

your help is much appreciated...

quote:

heh problem:::

everytime i delete or place a container feild into the layout... it effects all records..

how do i just have it effect one record..

Anything you do to a layout, affect the LAYOUT. It has nothing to do with the records being displayed on the layout.

First, is to go into Define Fields and determine that you have a Container field to hold your pictures and that it is NOT a Global field.

Next put the Container field on your layout.

Finally put the pictures into the container field, either via Import Picture or a simple drag and drop/copy and paste.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

ok so basically i am just going to go thru each record(thank god there aren't alot) and delete the container feild and then put a new one in there and it will not be a global feild right?

imma try that now.. if i come upon an error or something i will post it here...

thank you very much for ur help so far!!

heh problem:::

everytime i delete or place a container feild into the layout... it effects all records..

how do i just have it effect one record..

or how could i write a "smarter" script to determine by the filename of the picture which picture to send it to???

quote:

ok that is what i am doing...

so then..

how do i attach the script to the picture.. b/c each record the picture changes...

or can i change the container feild each record to act differently???

You now setup another layout, which has the same container field, but make it much bigger and set it to "Crop" the image. This will insure that the image does not get distorted by the container and will display correctly. Although it will crop parts of the image that are bigger than the container field.

On your original layout you set the container as a button and either run a script or set the button to Go To Layout <BigGraphicLayout> or whatever you called it.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

quote:

EXACTLY... that is what i am currently doing... so we are back to the beginning...

the problem is that in each record.. there is a picture of a different item. and i have two versions of pictures for each item.. one small and one big...

so i want the small one when clicked on.. goes to the big one..

at the moment i have that....

but in record #2 - i have a different picture.. and i would like it to link to the bigger version of that picture. but when i click on it... it sends me to the first picture...

No, no. You have done something wrong. You must have done something wrong with the import of the pictures.

Layout-Layout moves are on the same record, so you must have done something you did not intend to on the importing of the pictures.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

EXACTLY... that is what i am currently doing... so we are back to the beginning...

the problem is that in each record.. there is a picture of a different item. and i have two versions of pictures for each item.. one small and one big...

so i want the small one when clicked on.. goes to the big one..

at the moment i have that....

but in record #2 - i have a different picture.. and i would like it to link to the bigger version of that picture. but when i click on it... it sends me to the first picture...

that is the problem!

anyone else?

your help is aprecciated!

quote:

but i haven't done any of that... the problem is that the container feild that contains the graphics acts the same on ALL records.. and the script says send it to biglayout#1. biglayout#1 corresponds to the #1item which is contained on the first record. when i goto the second record... and i have a different graphic on the container feild but the script can't be changed w/o affecting every other record... and if i leave it as it is, and you click on the graphic of item#2 it sends u to the big graphic of item #1!

What is in the field changes from record to record. What is on the layout stays the same. I can only assume that you have either pasted the graphic directly onto the layout, rather than into the field or you have set the field as a global, which is the same for all records.

If you do not think that you have done either of these, I would suggest starting over. You have done something wrong and often you cannot see it, starting over will usuaully allow you to fix the problem.

Otherwise send me the file and I will look at it. Compress it in either a Stuffit or Zip file, first.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

quote:

um all i did was select the container feild in browse mode, and chose to put a picture there.. is there something wrong with that?

No, that sounds correct.

Here is the situation: SmallLayout has the Graphic field on it, sized to thumbnail size and defined as a button(Goto Layout [bigLayout]). BigLayout has the Graphic field on it, sized to the extent of the layout. Another button on BigLayout returns you to the SmallLayout.

Assuming that you have not done something wrong, this situation would work perfectly and I have done similiar things many times before.

If you are getting differing pictures you have either :

1.) set different fields to different pictures

2.) have simply pasted the graphic onto the layout

3.) have scripted a move to another record

4.) have some machine problem causing the FMP internal file reference to point to the incorrect graphic.

I would put my money on 1 or 2 as the answer.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

but i haven't done any of that... the problem is that the container feild that contains the graphics acts the same on ALL records.. and the script says send it to biglayout#1. biglayout#1 corresponds to the #1item which is contained on the first record. when i goto the second record... and i have a different graphic on the container feild but the script can't be changed w/o affecting every other record... and if i leave it as it is, and you click on the graphic of item#2 it sends u to the big graphic of item #1!

quote:

how would i change the global setting of a feild then?

Go into Define Fields and if the field is a global it will say so there. Click (NOT double-click) on the field and change it to a Container field, then Save the field.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

quote:

i did that, and it says container feild now.. but i am still having the same problem

Send me the file and I can look at it. Make sure to send it as a Stuffit or Zip archive.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

This topic is 8619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.