Importing Value Lists

This topic is 7321 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I think I have one problem related to several other problems...

I started out making a db for this company, eventually someone else wanted to buy it, so now there are 3 different companies running this db. Now one of the companies wants get the latest version (I still have been developing the db at the original company). The problem is I have a bunch of value lists that are different for each company. Is there an easy way to import the value lists from the previous copy of the db?

On a side note, has anyone had to deal with upgrading a client to the latest version? I assume I would need to import the data into the new db

Hi:

You can specify a value list from another file, but that means that the file with the value list will have to be available to your new file when the value list is accessed. That's probably not practical for your use. I have seen others have a value list file. But I don't know of a way to "import value lists." Sorry

As far as you other question, importing records would be a part of any upgrade. You could have a scripted import ready in your upgrade. Then the user would have to delete the old one when the import was done. There is a product called UpdateGenie that would make the whole process easy for the end user, but looks quite involved to set up.

Ken

I would like to use another file for some of my value lists but I can't get them sorted the way I want them. Basically I want the lists to be ordered last record first and first record last (ex: 100, 99, 98, ..., with 100 being the last recorded entered).

Wow. This is a similar problem to the one I have; and I'm looking for an answer.

I have value lists set up that contain system-defined entries and also

allow the user to add their own.

Here's my problem(s)/questions ...

1. Is there a way to combine 2 lists in the value list, so the user can ONLY add or change the user-defined values and not the system-defined values?

2. When I send an upgrade out, how can the user lists be "imported" into the new release?

I suppose I could put all the values in a file and not use the custom edit list, but I like the ability of the dynamic "Edit..." with the custom value list. Also, even if I put it in a file, that doesn't prevent the user from changing the system values (unless there's a way to concatenate 2 separate lists into one Value List definition, and only give the user access to the user-defined list??)

HELP!

Think First...!!

I just figured out a way to solve some of the problem. If I put all the lists that the user can edit into a global file with fields for List Name (ie. Contact Type) and List Type (ie. User or System); then I can concatenate those fields into a multi-field key. That way I can just give the user update/add access in a portal only to the records identified as "User". This also takes care of the import problem, since the values are in a db and not a custom list. That doesn't solve the Edit list problem. I guess I'd just have to give them another way to edit the list (with a scripted button). Not as user-friendly...

Any other ideas??

Hi Guys - I'm the developer of UpdateGenie.

What we tend to do is create a blank file called ValueLists.fp5. This file contains no fields, no scripts - just 100 blank value lists numbered from 1 to 100.

Once the user has this file - we never replace it.

Within the rest of the files, whenever we need a value list, we create one in the appropriate file and link it externally to a blank value list within the ValueList file.

We allow the "edit" option and the user can still edit the value list as per usual.

This way the client has control of their own lists.

We only use this method for user editable value lists. If we need hard coded value lists that the user will never modify, we create them the old fashioned way.

We don't have the problem of losing value lists when we issue new updates because the value list data in stored in another file.

Hope this has been helpful.

Hi-Voltage. wink.gif

Oh yes, I see. I like the concept, but I'm not sure of 2 things.

1. I haven't tried to bundle and update changes yet, so I just need to work on this one: How to release only updated files, rather then re-bundle the entire application?

2. Using your approach, is there a way to concatenate the user list with a system list in the same popup? Here's my scenario: I have Status codes defined that will trigger scripts based on certain codes, but also allows additional codes that the user may want to assign, but will not trigger scripts. I want to keep the system defined codes separate, so they can't be changed, but have all codes show in the popup for that field. Can I do this??

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar situation where I have four locations using the identical databases. Each has several Value Lists but most of these are identical. It is the one (user editable) Value List that has created a problem. Each location ends up having their own personal list.

Since I'm the administrator of this system I decided to cut and paste these lists into separate sheets of an Excell doc. I usually update these Excell lists just before I do an update to the system or upon request from the users. I'll sort the list while it is still in Excell, then cut and repaste back into the value list.

This topic is 7321 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.