Server Maintenance This Week. ×

delay in opening files

dysong3

This topic is 7478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a whole set of FMP files that I manage on a G4. From time to time I copy all these files onto my Powerbook in order to access them on the road. I can't figure out why but on the Powerbook FMP takes an inordinate amount of time to find the related files even though they are all classified in the same folder with the same name as on the G4. I get the impression that FMP looks everywhere else instead of in the folder to find the right file. Does anyone have any idea why there is this delay so I can work a way around it?

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing a similar situation. I have a HP laptop running XP Home with FMP 6.0. When it is connected to my network, the files open in seconds. When it is disconnected, it takes a minute per file to open. confused.gif The solution I'm working on has 20 files so it takes about 20 minutes for it to be up and running.

I've tried all the settings in the Preferences panel with no success. It appears that it is looking for something on the network even though all the files are local to the laptop.

Mike

I have figured out what was happening in my situation. I had installed PC MACLAN on the HP laptop so that I could connect it to my Mac network (XP Home Edition has limited network capability). When I disconnected the laptop from the network, PC MACLAN was still trying to access the network and FileMaker took several minutes to launch and open the files. When I stopped the PC MACLAN server on the HP laptop using their control panel, everything worked great. So the lesson learned was - when disconnecting the laptop from the network, stop the network server running on it.

Maybe this will give you some idea on where to look to solve your problem. BTW, I had talked to FileMaker Tech Support and they were not of much help in this area.

Mike

This topic is 7478 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.