Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Protolight software

Arny

This topic is 7485 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with Protolight software? They are (were) located at Geocities.com but don't seem to be there any longer. I'm trying to get a developer copy of the "Crypto toolbox" plug-in for my application and can't find a developer contact.

Thanx

Arny

Steve;

I can get to the site and download the 'free' plug-in. That version of the plug-in works as advertised but I can't seem to get it to work within a kiosk or runtime version of the same application.

I was trying to contact the developer and find out if I needed to purchase a developer version. However, when I try to contact him [using his name at the bottom of the web page] it comes back undeliverable. I don't see any other means to contact anyone at Protolight.

If you have a version that will work in 'runtime' that would be excellent.

Thanks

Arny

There is no developer license and it may be used commercially. The plugin was freely distributed. David McKee doesn't market any of his plugins commercially (as far as I know). It should work, and it does for me in a kiosk. Have you placed the plugin in the 'my_pgmsystem' folder? Also, you may need to wake it up by calling it to return its version #.

Steve;

Thanks for the info. Yes, it's in the system folder for the custom application. However . . . how do I 'wake it up'? I request a new record and get both pieces of information [serial no & version] returned in the original application but nothing is returned for either field when I do a request for a new record in the stand-alone version. Perhaps I'm not triggering the process correctly.

Arny

Steve;

A 2nd comment . . . a kiosk version does work . . . but only on a computer that has filemaker pro installed. This sort of defeats the purpose of running the application on a foreign computer. Consequently, it seems that the stand-alone approach is the best approach.

Again . . your comments/thoughts are very welcome.

Arny

Steve;

I've checked as you suggested. I have a folder containing only two (2) entries. 1] my application, which does nothing but interrogate and return the serial number of the computer and 2] a system folder. The contents of the system folder were copied directly over from the Filemaker developer program (as recommended in the FM ref manual). I then included the Crypto toolbox.fmx plug-in.

That's it! ! ! I then ran both the 'runtime' & kiosk compiles and got results that would not execute. The plug-in shows up in the original version of the application, along with all the standard FM plug-ins (i.e. web companion, etc) but nothing shows up in the compiled version.

This is the first time I've used a plug-in and tried to perform external actions within a FM application. That's why I figured there's something I'm doing wrong to get it to execute.

Well, I don't think you're doing anything wrtong, but I know it should also work. I've been using the plugin for at least 2 years with never a problem. I'm really at a loss to explain why you're having a problem. Why don't you send me the FM file that contains the call to the plugin?

Steve

This topic is 7485 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.