Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM-Connector Outlook and help needed

This topic is 7451 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking at integrating Outlook with FMP using Datavations FMConnector -Outlook but have been unable to get an answer from them. As I look at the demo evaluation examples it appears that the only way to get items that were originally created in Outlook to sync is to highlight them (select them in Outlook) then switch to FMP and perform a script there. The problem I have is that this task is too much work and will be forgotten by a user thus creating a orphaned entity in outlook.

I have emailed Datavations, several times and even phoned them (to only get a machine) with no response. now my trial time is half used up and I need a solution to continue.

If you use this software add-in I could really use your help. I have noticed the FMconnector -Outlook creates a custom field with a FMP ID key used for the synchronizing. Perhaps a VBScript can automatically create this when ever a new calendar event is created and the add in would flag this for syncing?

Charles

I don't know anything about this plugin. However, I offer you this advice: Any plugin manufacturer that doesn't respond to requests for help from prospective users should BE AVOIDED at all costs. If they won't support during the pre-sale period, they sure won't after you buy the plugin.

You might want to look at WinBatch, as I've used it to write an .EXE that asutomatically extracts contacts from MS Outlook and imports the data into FM without any user intervention. You probably can write a fairly small routine to do what the plugin does. It won't be any cheaper, but you won't have to put up with non-responsive a..holes.

Steve

I've also been testing the product (I've also looked at Outlook Connect, as well as the Productive Computing plug-in). (The Datavations product is actually a com add-in.) I think you can script most syncs for your users. For example, you can mark all records that have been created or modified since the last sync. The big problem is that the product doesn't compare modification dates between Outlook and Filemaker. You must basically overwrite Filemaker with Outlook, or vice versa.

If anybody has a solution that will perform a true synchronization (or has the expertise to create a solution), I'd love to hear from you.

I'm an now looking at some of the Outlook -> ODBC addins and connecting to FM that way (eg. OutlookDataLink). some of them use an access passthrough database.

MY biggest requirment is that a secretary can drag an Outlook appointment to a new time slot and the info will be updated in FM.

Charles

This topic is 7451 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.