FMP hanging in Panther...

This topic is 7184 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ever since I upgraded my machine to 10.3, FMP 5.5 Unlimited hangs once a day. It hangs so bad I have to force quit. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm using FMP 5.5v2, web companion 5.5v4. I've even reinstalled FMP.

I suspect the problem is one of my many applescripts that interact w/FMP, but it's almost impossible for me to isolate what exactly is causing it to hang. I also noticed (thinking out loud) that my URL access scripting scripts became flaky in Panther, and I rewrote many of them as curl scripts, so perhaps I need to make sure I haven't missed any. I'm also all over the place w/how scripts are called: some reside in FMP fields, some are called using the Send Apple Event script command. Still others sit in fields yet call external scripts. Yikes, I've got a lot of debugging to do.

I bet that you all will agree the problem is probably one of my scripts, but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Newbies

dpouliot said:

Ever since I upgraded my machine to 10.3, FMP 5.5 Unlimited hangs once a day. It hangs so bad I have to force quit. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm using FMP 5.5v2, web companion 5.5v4. I've even reinstalled FMP.

. . .

I bet that you all will agree the problem is probably one of my scripts, but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

I've had the same problem with 5.5 Unlimited and now with 6.0 Unlimited on Mac OS X Server 10.3. I don't have any AppleScripts interacting with FileMaker at all.

It seems to freeze when there's any appreciable database activity. Most of our database access is via the Web Companion.

I placed a call to FileMaker Tech support. The tech (Justin, really nice, patient, and knowledgeable) had me check the CPU usage. It hovered around 97%-100%, so it was trying to do something.

Justin had me turn on all logging for Web Companion. I can call back with the data upon the next freeze. (I call this "failure-mode analysis, a la the AE-35 antenna positioning unit in "2001: A Space Odyssey" ;-)

I'll post back if/when I find out anything more.

++Steve

• Newbies

Yep, same problem here. We're running FileMaker Unlimited 5.5 and having crashes every 15 - 20 minutes. (with minimal load on the server) Filemaker is using about 40% of the cpu just idleing (is this normal??).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

We do also have tremendous problems with Panther and FM Pro 5.5 Unlim. Whenever there is some traffic we get Unexpected Quits or even frozen FM Apps. We do use SMTPIT and some OAzium Plug-Ins but I suspect deeper problems. With OS 10.2 there wasn't any such problem.

Any findinds so far?? We really are looking for HELP.

Thank you.

• 4 months later...
  • Newbies

I have the same problem with one particular file in FP6 unexpectedly quitting everytime I try to open it. In fact, in only opens with FP5 in OS9. I updated to the latest web companion and the problem still persists in OS 10.3. I also repaired permissions and cleaned everything up that I could in the OS.

Any help is appreciated!

This topic is 7184 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.