Script step launches AppleWorks in Classic!

This topic is 7416 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

One of the scripts in my FileMaker 6 accounts database has this step telling AppleWorks 6.2.4 to open a document:

Send Apple Event ["Forecast.cwk", "AppleWorks 6", "aevt", "odoc"]

If AppleWorks is already running, this works fine - but if AppleWorks isn't running the script tries to launch it in Classic mode. My workaround to date has been to have AppleWorks as a Login Item, but I would prefer to know what I'm doing!

So, how do I tell AppleWorks I want it to launch in OS X?

This is a little odd. Usually I get the opposite behaviour. AppleScript generally will try and launch the last version of the application which was installed, in case two share the same application code.

In my AppleWorks folder, after showing the package contents (the AppleWorks icon first seen is just an alias), there is an MacOS folder and a MacOSClassic folder. In the former is the OS X version, at 6.2.7 (updated), in the latter is a 6.2.5 version (also mentions the 6.2.7 update; so both are concurrent); that is 2 separate AppleWorks applications.

AppleScript always launches my OS X version. There is a possibility that when you created the script, it was targetting the Classic version, and has remembered it specifically. I've seen that happen.

The 1st thing to try is to delete that step and recreate it. It will recompile; it may ask where AppleWorks is; in which case just point to the package (what shows in the Applications folder).

If that doesn't work, you can go into the MacOSClassic folder and rename the AppleWorks 6 to AppleWorks 6_9 or something. That'll definitely stop AppleScript from opening it first.

If you have another OS 9 version somewhere that adds to the confusion. But AppleScript should open the last installed version.

This topic is 7416 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.