Server Maintenance This Week. ×

opening relationship files takes foreeeeever ....

This topic is 7387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi ... got a problem here I have been trying to solve the last two weeks ...

when opening the main database via FM Server 5.5 with "connection" to other related files it takes upto 90 seconds to open all files .... its only 8 other databases that are connected with this main file .... on two computers it only takes 4 seconds to open all related files ... now the tricky one ... it used to be three ... now the third one takes just as long as all the others ...

any suggestions ?

we tried everything ... new switch, new cables, new everything .... everything but new company ...

appriciate your help

thanks

markus

How are you opening the files from Filemaker Pro? Do you choose the open remote or host button? Are all the files served by Filemaker Server on that machine? Do you have file sharing enabled on the machine running FIlemaker Server?

"The whole database became slow once moved from its development machine onto the server to host it."

If you're comparing opening databases that reside on the local hard disk to opening them as a guest over a network that is orders of magnitude slower that the system bus speed then yes, you will notice a difference.

I assume that when you say "the server to host it" you are referring to a FM Host running wither FMP or FMS, and not a shared network volume. A shared network volume is disaster in the making.

Read the FM Server Best Practices White Paper on the FMI web site.

• Newbies

sorry, ill make it clearer.

it was hosted on a server within our development office whilst it was being created.

Once finished it was moved to our clients offices and installed on their server.

Both running the same version of FMS, once in the new office it is unbelievbly slow, taking as said around 10 mins just to open up the define relationships box.

our clients systems are a much higher specification (network and server) than our own.

hope that helps...

At this stage I'd get the development box and take it to the office, see if it makes a difference. If it does then it's a computer-configuration problem. If not then it's a network issue.

• 1 month later...

I took Vaughan's advice, I went and read the FM whitepaper on how to set up the server. I disabled filesharing, and released it as one of the Domain Controllers, I bet my performance increased 500%. It's very quick now, it took some relationships 5 seconds to open, now it takes about 1 second. I had NO idea it would make that much of a difference! Thanks Vaughan!!!!

This topic is 7387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.