plug in - pop up message to all client computers.

LVA

This topic is 7362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a network with 1 server machine and 10 client machines. Win2000 and Filemaker Server 5 on the Server machine and Win 2000 Pro and Filemaker Pro 5 on the client machines.

The server machine will receive a file and as soon as the file arrives a message needs to be sent to all client machines that a file has been received.

After someone answers the message a script will be executed to import data from the file that has just arrived.

I would like to know if someone knows a plug-in that could be used to send a pop up message to all client machines that are logged on to filemaker saying a file has arrived on the server machine and after that execute a script on filemaker client machine that answered the pop up message ?

Thanks,

LVA

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to remember an external script function from the FMP Server administrator plugin that comes with server that can do this, have a look there first cuz its free, more or less.

This features is used when you want to tell everyone to get off the database because it will be closing.

charles

Even if you can get the admin plug-in to deliver a custom message to connected users, I don't think you'll be able to get it to work in both directions (ie convey their answer/s back to the server).

The Troi Activator plug-in can be configured to do this:

http://www.troi.com/software/activatorplugin.html

It works by making secure calls to FileMaker scripts on remote machines over the LAN or even the internet. With each call, a 'packet' of information can be included (which can include filenames, message text etc etc) and communication can take place in both directions. cool.gif

This topic is 7362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.