Server Maintenance This Week. ×

scroll speed when merging fields

This topic is 7427 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

When I bring up the window to merge fields, I can't control the scroll speed. So, if I have many variables, lining up the fields to merge is a nightmare. I can't use my keyboard to scroll up and down one variable at a time. I can't use my mouse wheel to do this either. I can't enlarge the window. The only way I can line up the variables to click above and below the pointer on the scroll window until I get lucky and the field I'm looking for shows up in the window. This can take up to ten minutes, so when importing a dozen variables, it really gets frustrating and time-consuming....not to mention a very sore finger. Any suggestions?

On Windows you can click on a field and use Ctrl-arrow to move it up or down. This is how I deal with remapping oodles of fields without tearing my long hair out.

I dislike this dialog so much that I have gone so far as to change the names of the fields in one file to match the other, just so I could use "Matching Names" (you have to get them all however, or you're back to scrolling the list).

On one really large legacy database being brought into a new structure, I've gone so far as to get the fields names out into separate files, using FieldNames(Status(CurrentLayoutName)), after creating a fresh layout with all the fields.

I've then used FileMaker's relationships to show exactly which fields needed to be renamed, and what to rename them to.

The dialog is too ******* small and awkward for a file with a large number of fields. Being able to sort by name would be nice also; but resizable is the main enhancement needed.

This topic is 7427 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.