Setting importorder with script

This topic is 7364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

With over 30 fields in my databse, it takes me a lot of time to arrange the order in wich fields have to be exported or imported. Everytime I add or remove a field, I have to do this again. Is it possible to put the order in a script so it can easely be changed?

Thanks

John

You can manually perform an import or export and then create a script with a single script step (either Import Records or Export Records) with 'Restore'checked. If you ever need to change the default order, then you can perform a new export, open and close the script, and select 'Replace' the import/export order.

Yes I know this drill. But placing over 30 fields in the order you want, using this simple interface, is terrible. If you move a field to the top of the list, the field that was on that spot moves to the bottom. So you can't afford to make a mistake or else you have to start all over again.

Does your answer means that this can not be done by defining the export order in a script ?

John

Deleting fields from your file can screw up import and export orders; adding fields might also cause problems too but I don't think so.

Import and export orders can be saved in scripts, yes, as Queue most adequately explains. Export and import orders are done through the same interface whether in a script or not.

If it helps, the default order is usually the field creation order. Helpful if you have the opportunity to plan ahead.

Thank you Vaughn, but I don't delete, nore am I adding fields. I dont want to use the default order and I know that the saved order can be used in a script with the restore option. As Queue most adequately points to the manal performed import order, that's my point. I want to do it manualy, but not with the supplied interface, but in a typed text in a script.

John

This topic is 7364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.