Scripting differences between Mac & PC

This topic is 7386 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi!

I'm in the process of writing my first 'dual platform' database (Mac & PC). I'm used to the added flexability of using AppleScripts afforded by Mac OS, and was a little surprised to hear from FileMaker support that there is no parallel alternative in windows .... is that true??

(As an example ... I'm able to use a simple AppleScript to set up a series of scripts performing different 'sorts' for different stages in the database (e.g. [sort 1 = sort by date & time] [sort 2 = sort by date & client name])

Is there no simple comparison in PC?

Giles

It's true that you can do all kinds of things with AppleScript. But I only use it for things that FileMaker can't do, and only on Macs (duh). There are cross-platform plug-ins that can do much of that stuff also, file access, etc..

There is a scripting environment for Windows, but it's not easy (AppleScript can also be a pain at times), and it doesn't have the access that AppleScript has to FileMaker objects. This is what I've heard from the experts.

Yes, AppleScript gurus can create dynamic sorts more easily. But you can do it in FileMaker; you need different sort scripts, and an If script to choose which one to run.

This topic is 7386 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.