Self Joins and Dynamic Value Lists

This topic is 7359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've looked through most of the posts in the value list forum but still don't get it. I'm trying to create a dynamic value list that filters the down stream field value based on the upstream field value. I'm using FMP 6 and trying to use the "only related values" selection. This example is given for two fields but does not work when the third field in the selection process is added. I must be missing a simple but key piece to the puzzle.

The sample db is an address book. I want to click in each field and see a filtered list that is based on the existing records. The first field, Company Name is no problem because it is based on a self join and shows all field values in the db. The second field, Plant Location has a self join to itself and the "only related values" is based on the first fields (Company Name) self join. The value lists for the following fields are not filtered based on the preceeding choices. Any help would be appreciated.

Test Dynamic VL.zip

Sorry for the delay in providing some feedback. The files were very helpfull. It took me a little time to sort out the calculation for a one file solution but it works great. I was trying to do the same thing but without the calc fields. I thought FMP 6 had some new feature that eliminated the need for calc fields. Thanks again for the help.

This topic is 7359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.