FMP on OS X - some complaints

HazMatt

This topic is 7359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm running FileMaker Developer 6.0v4 on Mac OS X (10.3.2). I usually run the same version of FM in Mac OS 9.2.2.

The most glaring problem in the OS X version is the absence of the toolbars. Personally, I dislike MS-style toolbars (just give me a hotkey or some Adobe style palettes). But, FileMaker appears to have relied on them, and then pulled their support in Mac OS X. It makes database design pretty difficult sometimes.

The other annoying issue is that sometimes when I click on a button (actually a field assigned a script), the cursor "sticks" to the field, as if I simply held the button down. It's like it's forever stuck in a MouseDown state. If I click again, it releases. Anybody else have this problem? I should mention I use a Kensington TurboMouse, including Kensington's MouseWorks software.

MDLarson said:

I'm running FileMaker Developer 6.0v4 on Mac OS X (10.3.2). I usually run the same version of FM in Mac OS 9.2.2.

The most glaring problem in the OS X version is the absence of the toolbars. Personally, I dislike MS-style toolbars (just give me a hotkey or some Adobe style palettes). But, FileMaker appears to have relied on them, and then pulled their support in Mac OS X. It makes database design pretty difficult sometimes.

The other annoying issue is that sometimes when I click on a button (actually a field assigned a script), the cursor "sticks" to the field, as if I simply held the button down. It's like it's forever stuck in a MouseDown state. If I click again, it releases. Anybody else have this problem? I should mention I use a Kensington TurboMouse, including Kensington's MouseWorks software.

I actually switched to developing on my PC do to the tool bars missing. Then test my solution to be sure there are no quirks on my Ibook.

The button thing I have also noticed On an IMAC OSX10.2.3. On this machine its just really slow. Click the button and then get the spinning disk of torture for about 5 seconds and then it works. confused.gif

I'm more than a little irked about the toolbar issue. You would think that FM would have incorporated some kind of workaround for its' beloved Mac base.

I've also found that the "spinning disk of torture" can sometimes last a lot longer than 5 seconds on both my iMac and XServer. To be fair though, I've yet to have FM crash on either machine (knock on wood). smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Heres what ended up happening cuz it was so slow. Upgraded to 512ram(NO HELP) as far as Filemaker goes. Other apps improved though(of course). I reinstalled Filemaker as OS9 and all problems are gone smile.gif. All scripts, calcs, and initial opening times has more then doubled in speed confused.gif Best of all the one user on this machine is happy to have tool bars back grin.gif

The computer is IMAC G4 OSX10.2.3 800mhz 45gig HD(30gig left) 512ram. Does not look like a dog, but Filemaker is really slow if openend using OSX.

Any Ideas why?

This topic is 7359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.