Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Unl. & FM Pro on Win2k Terminal Server...

This topic is 7389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

probably already answered a hundred times before - but I can't find them ;)-(

Currently FM unlimited connects to an external FM Server hosting some databases via the web compagnion; now obviousely I have to expand direct access to FM Server with FM Pro (VLA) via Windows Terminal Server. FM Unlimited AND the FM Pro (VLA) Version is planned to be installed on the SAME server opening the files from the external FM server box again - are there any problems or tricky steps to be considered?

At least I heard that a combined installation of FM unlimited AND FM Server on the same Windows box causes corrupted files, slow access, ... Are there similar problems with a combined installation of FM unlimited AND FM Pro (VLA) on the same server?

Greetings Harald

That is interesting question!

There is possibility, that if you open the FMU separately in one session only that it may work smile.gif

I am not familiar with MS stuff on such low level, but I think you will get 50/50 chance that it will work. But the WC should be disabled on FM client.

Anatoli said:

>That is interesting question!

I have lots of them ;-)

>There is possibility, that if you open the FMU separately in

>one session only that it may work smile.gif

I always thought that it's possible to run FM Unlimited, Developer AND FM Pro on the same box ... so you think that I have to be sure that the users - after successful terminal login - are only allowed to open the databases via FM Pro-versions?!

>I am not familiar with MS stuff on such low level, but I think

>you will get

What do you mean with "...low level..."?

>50/50 chance that it will work. But the WC should be disabled on FM client.

Greetings Harald

While, I'm not clear on the inner workings either, but here's a shot in the dark:

Each time a user requests access to an application on the TS application server, TS create a new namespace for the instance of that user using that application. If another user requests the same application, a new namespace is created for the 2nd user, even though they are both using the same application. Basically, each user gets their own private set of data stored in RAM. I think the server actually creates a new instance of the application, or a new process/thread each time a new user requests use of an application.

Anyway, aside from the problem of running the applications concurrently, I think it is a bad idea to run Unlimited for web hosting on a TS machine. I think you'll run into problems because Unlimited isn't instantiated as a user process and doesn't have a user namespace properly allocated. I'm not sure about this, so if you try it and it works please let us know smile.gif.

... at least I am happy about your comments!

>application. Basically, each user gets their own private set of data stored in RAM. I think the server

>actually creates a new instance of the application, or a new process/thread each time a new user

>requests use of an application.

Thats also the thing I was told from our professional (Win-) Lan-Admin... Actually it was his idea to use the current dedicated server as a terminal server in order to gain access speed if users are opening databases from FM Server (for the moment this works far too slow: it works fine in the local office, but connection speed is obviousely not amongst the positive features of a server-client-database solution if it's used from different countries/capitals...)

>Unlimited for web hosting on a TS machine. I think you'll run into problems because Unlimited isn't

>instantiated as a user process and doesn't have a user namespace properly allocated. I'm not sure

>about this, so if you try it and it works please let us know

You answer suggests that

(a) there was nobody else trying this before or

(;) nobody told us about the experiences/results and

© yes, I will try it and let all of you know about the results -'cause bad results are results too ;-)

Anyway - thank you for your answers, perhaps somebody else is using this kind of FM-Product setup and will tell us something about the advantages or disatvantages... .

Greetings Harald

This topic is 7389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.